Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I t the "tv" button instead of the "input" button and now my

Customer Question

I hit the "tv" button instead of the "input" button and now my tv won't receive HDMI.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the problem.
This is not an answer so do not rate it.

- Can you please try another video device such as DVD/Bluray player into HDMI Input of TV as a test to see if TV works?

- Have you tried another HDMI cable, just in case?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was watching tv (I have direct tv) without issue - no problems at all - and was going to watch a dvd and instead of the "input" button to switch to AV, hit the TV button on the TV remote. When I go to "input" I can change to AV and can watch movies on the dvd player but when I try to switch back to HDMI, it says connecting but then says "no signal." Literally, no connections were changed - it was only pressing the 'tv' button that seems to have forced the lost connection. Subsequently I *did* unplug everything and reconnect after a few minutes but still cannot connect to HDMI1.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me explain HDMI input of TV first, it needs video signal to stay enable/ selected otherwise TV will go back to previous video input or show no-signal message. Now looking at TV symptoms, it seems directv box isn't providing video signal to TV for some reason thus TV shows no-signal error message.

We can verify TV HDMI input by connecting any other video device like DVD or Bluray player to HDMI input as a test to see if TV shows picture or gives same error. This way we will know is the problem inside TV or Directv box is causing the problem.

Can you try above mentioned test and reply back with the result?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when I press HDMI1 it says "no program information."
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, did you get my previous reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. I have switched out HDMI cable AND reset direct tv box. I CAN change to "av" and watch movies on DVR player, just can't get the tv to recognize HDMI. It *is* an option on my inputs but when I select it, it says "connecting" then returns "no signal."
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I understand and that is why I requested to try another video source to HDMI input of TV as if Directv box has got internal failure then TV will not get any video signal and we wouldn't move forward to conclude the troubleshooting process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would direct tv box have an internal failure from me pressing the TV button on the television remote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just disconnected power from both the tv and the direct tv box for five minutes. Plugged both in, got a screen that basically alerted that the direct tv box was resetting (this is normal. when I've had to reset the box in the past), then an "HDMI" notification pops up on the screen (not usual for this process) then the "no signal" error started flashing again (also not normal for this process). This seems to be an issue with the television rather than the direct tv box.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

We will discuss it later once we found that Directv box is bad, currently we have two suspected things, TV and Directv box and a third video video device will help to find out which one is bad.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info - got a screen that basically alerted that the direct tv box was resetting (this is normal. when I've had to reset the box in the past)

This indicates that TV HDMI is working and Directv box loses video output after displaying reboot message. We really need a video source (DVD or Bluray) to figure out that TV is working or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dvd player works fine. Watched a movie on it after switching to AV input last night.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No, please connect a video source to HDMI input of TV just to verify it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what does that mean. Like, plug my computer into hdmi and see if it plays ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've connected my mini computer to the tv before and watched a movie that way, just connected it and it's fine, playing a puppy video from youtube on my computer and it's displaying through the tv.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Nice, it proves that HDMI input of TV is working and it would be just coincidence the Directv box got fault at same time when you hit TV button on remote. Please call your cable provider company and ask them to reset the directv box or replace it that will help to resolve the problem. Your TV is just fine and has no issue.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got off the phone with direct tv, she resent signals and reset the box and nada. And the receiver isn't down - if it was, none of the tvs in the house would be working and they all are. So it's something with the TV button that's preventing the direct tv box from being recognized. Irritating. Thanks for your help anyway.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

What HDMI input of TV is hooked to directv box and did you select correct HDMI input in TV so it can get video signal of directv box?