Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I HAVE A MODEL 50V500A V4G040880 TV AND THE TV CUTS OFF

Customer Question

I HAVE A MODEL 50V500A V4G040880 TV AND THE TV CUTS OFF ABOUT
EVERY 2 MINUTES AND AFTER ABOUT 20 SECONDS COMES BACK ON. THIS
REPEATS CONTINOUSLY. ALSO THE COLOR IS MORE YELLOW TINT THAT
CANNOT BE ADJUSTED OUT. IS THE MAIN TUBE ABOUT TO GO OUT AND WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE CUTTING ON AND OFF?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When was the last time the Lamp was replaced in this set please?

Also has the picture been getting darker- not just a yellow tint?

When it cuts out- please look at the front of the set and let me know if any of the diagnostic lights (Power or Lamp) are lit or blinking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE TV IS 11 YEARS OLD. I BELIEVE I REPLACED THE LAMP ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. THE PICTURE IS
JUST GETTING YELLOW AND NOT DARKER. WHEN THE SET GOES OFF THE BLUE LIGHT ON THE
LOWER RIGHT BLINKS LIKE THE SET WAS TURNED OFF.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. This is not good news- if the screen was simply getting darker- then it would mean the lamp is going out again. When the screen changes color and the set shuts down, it means that the Light Engine is failing- this contains the optics that produce the color on the set, and all of these DLP TV's that used the Light Engine (Sony, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Hitachi and Toshiba among others) were prone this this failure at around 5-10 years of age. Unfortunately the fix requires replacement of the entire Light Engine which is on average a $550 part, plus $400 labor to install. I'm sorry for the bad news here.

If you're looking to possibly replace the light engine yourself, let me know and I will try to dig deeper for a source for one.

Otherwise, given a $950 repair bill on an 11 year old TV, I would personally put that same money towards a new set in lieu of repairing this one I'm afraid.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The Light engine is available at the link below if you're looking to repair this yourself and there are videes that outline this procedure:

http://www.dappz.com/ux27713-oem

Given a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for around $600 it is not generally deemed as cost effective. However if you really like the Hitachi then it may be worth the time/expense.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?