Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Mitsubishi WD-60638. Last week, I turned on my TV,

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi WD-60638. Last week, I turned on my TV, but there was no picture. There was a red light, indicated lamp failure.
I ordered a lamp (http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-915b441001-dlp-replacement-lamp-with-philips-bulb.htm), but the screws are too short to catch, therefore I can't secure it with the screws. The lamp secures just fine, but the screws are about 1/4 in too short. I tried to see if the TV would turn on without the screws installed, but it comes on with only sound and the bulb is not turning on. The TV stays on for a few minutes then shuts off.
Is this caused by the need for the screws to be installed, or is this indicative of another problem?
Thanks for your help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Try using the screws that were with the old lamp and see what happens.

Also, when it shuts down- are there any lit or blinking lights on the front of the set?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know when you are able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no blinking lights when it shuts down.The screws from the old housing also will not catch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this behavior indicative of the screws not being installed?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if the screws with the old lamp won't catch either, then it's likely the lamp is not inserted all of the way, or perhaps the lamp trigger switch was broken. Do you have the old lamp nearby and can you try to install that as a test to see if it will fully insert and the screws will tighten?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Well without the lamp screws being secure, you're likely not triggering the switch in the lamp chamber, and also the lamp door needs to be closed securely. Either of these will not allow the lamp to spark. Please install the old lamp just so we can see if you can get the red lamp light again. Reason being is that the lamp you purchased may be out of spec/or a knockoff lamp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to get the old lamp housing to catch a couple days ago when originally troubleshooting the lamp, but it's very difficult.It was the lamp that I purchased the TV with, which seemed to be a knock-off. I've gave it another shot, and I just can't get the screws to catch. I know the newly purchased lamp is inserted fully, because I can feel when it reached the lip of the two-prong power output, then it securely enters it. When shining a light into the back, I see that it's just a 1/4 in was catching.I was under the impression the ShopJimmy.com parts are geniune and all the part number matches up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1/4 in from catching *
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

As far as the Lamps ShopJimmy carries- they are all over the map- they have copies and OEM both. So, I guess if the old lamp didn't really catch more than 1/4" either, then it's not likely the problem. So, let me ask you this- are you able to get the Lamp Cover to close securely? Also when you press power do the fans fire up? Can you then hear a soft click and buzz of the ballast trying to spark the lamp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lamp from ShopJimmy.com is a 1/4" FROM catching. It doesn't get close enough to thread. It's the one in the link I provided with the Philips bulb.The knock-off that was in the TV when I bought it gets a bit closer, and threaded for me once when originally troubleshooting.The cover closes securely, because if I don't have it on, I get the flashing yellow light.When I press power, the fans fire up, I hear the buzz and soft click, but the lamp never fires. Is this TV designed to not fire the lamp if the screws are not installed?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I understood everything you posted earlier. Also Phillips is not an OEM lamp for a Mitsubishi set- Osram (Sylvania) is. Anyhow let's move on from that part.

No, the lamp not catching is not the problem- the ballast will not even try to spark the lamp if the lamp was not installed. These symptoms point to either a bad lamp or a bad ballast in the TV (which is the lamp power supply).

When the lamp does not fire- what is the status of the lamp light on the front of the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light is green when I press power and it stays that way until the TV shuts off. There is no change.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay none of this is lining up. I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142