Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a 1997 top of line Sony TV, now out of warranty. Here

Customer Question

I have a 1997 top of line Sony TV, now out of warranty. Here in S.
California, Cox Communication is our cable provider. I have just installed one of there newly required mini-cable box. All is well with one exception after installing this mini-box. the TV picture has approx. 5% cut off on each side. We know because we watch CNBC business channel which maintains current mini table in the bottom right side showing market indexes, like the Dow Jones Av, with its index number immediately to the right of this symbol. The symbol is still there but the number is ***** off out of this new pcture from. On my own and with Cox technical support on the phone we have navigated through all of the menu options on this TV with its remote control. None of this exhaustive effort was able to increase the horizontal span of the picture to correct the left and right part of the picture that is missing. Please advise.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the model # ***** the TV: KZ-32TS1U.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Try changing the Aspect Ratio on the Cox box to suit the TV display:

1. Press the SETTINGS button, then the A button.
  2. Use the arrow buttons to highlight the Audio/Video preference.
  3. Press SELECT.
  4. Scroll to Video Output Format and press SELECT.
  5. Highlight and SELECT the standard or high-definition option that best matches your TV display screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This reply, which I have paid money for, is unhelpful. I gave you the model number of this TV, which should tell you what its remote control looks like. If you check you will find that there is no A button! Now what?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi please use the Cox remote, not the TV remote.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay more for a phone call on this.
This Sony TV is about 20 years old, was top of the line when we bought it. It has just been connected to a new Cox cable mini-box for its cable signal input, and was working fine except for this picture being cut off on the left and right sides immediately after installing this mini-box yesterday.
Now, after attempting to guess what button might be equivalent to the A button you mentioned above, the TV picture has gone after pressing all options, with the hope that one might be equivalent to the "A" button,including the button labelled vidio. Now I can't get the TV picture back. I could text or email you a cell phone picture of the remote if that will help you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my previous message?

You need to use the Cox remote control, not the TV remote control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, In my attempts to follow your earlier instructions yesterday, after pressing the video button on the TV remote, the TV image disappeared, but I cannot recover the TV picture after tryinging both the SAT/Cable button or the TV button, in order to then try your earlier instructions --- button A etc? I could send you a cell phone picture of the TV remote if that would help you. If so, how would I send it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can attach a picture here using the paperclip icon.