Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Our Vizio TV works in every aspect except when we push the

Customer Question

Our Vizio TV works in every aspect except when we push the menu button, the menu flashes on the screen but goes away within 5 seconds. Same with Netflix.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions like the TV's full model number so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is *****
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , got locked on another post while waiting for your reply but I will be with you shortly

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did this problem happen all of sudden or gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been using the Directv remote and haven't needed to use the Vizio remote until we signed up for Netflix and it flashed on and off quickly, then we tried the menu and it would not stay on either. Not sure how long it has been that way as we don't use it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k and beside the fact that it doesn`t stay on screen , what do you see when you press that Netflix button ?

Or if you open the menu and then try to scroll through it with the arrows , does it still turn off ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What I mean is that even though 5 secs seems a bit fast , the menu will turn itself off if there is no activity

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , what you call the "Netflix" button would be the V (via dock ) button ?

Some vizio remote have a button called Netflix but not the original remote for this tv .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both Netflix & the Menu do not give you enough time to even read the screen before they go off so you don't have an opportunity to scroll through and select a menu setting. This happens with the TV menu and with the Netflix at the top of the remote and with the V (dock) on the remote. We have another Vizio TV and all of these functions work as they should. The menu stays on the screen so you can pick the option you want.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Strange that te remote shown in your TV's manual does not show that Netflix button but right now this is not important if you cannot even scroll through the menu to do the network setup required before you can start to use Netflix.

These models have had quite a few problems with the main board I`m sorry to say and this looks like another one I`m afraid.

how do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself , leave it be if everything else is working or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The main board for this model cost somewhere around $100 to buy depending on which of the 2 versions available is in your tv .

If repairing this yourself

is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you and you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help replacing that board , thank you