Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sharp LC-42sb48ut tv when I turn on the red light

Customer Question

I have a Sharp LC-42sb48ut tv when I turn on the red light turns blue but the tv screen is blacked out
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

How long have you owned the set for ans when did the problem occur (storms, power outages, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have owned the tv for about 3 yrs. no storms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem hit about 2 days ago
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. So the power light changes when you press power- but that's it? Does the screen backlight (meaning light up slightly over when it's off)? Also does the set have sound?

Does pressing MENU or Input on the Sharp remote pull these indicators on the screen?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

So the power light changes when you press power- but that's it? Does the screen backlight (meaning light up slightly over when it's off)? Also does the set have sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound, no backlight. It is as if it is still off other than the on/off light change.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply or Main Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally with the Sharp logo. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I am just seeing now that you've tried that once already. With multiple tries, does the screen light up even for a second?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried it 4 times with change. Still nothing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, and sorry to hear. You're looking at either a mainboard or power board failure in the set, and to narrow it down further requires use of a multi-meter to test voltages in the TV. Are you looking to repair the set yourself? Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No light at all
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will make some calls and find a repair shop. I guess it depends on the cost. These tv's aren't that expensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I still have to pay you even though my tv is still not working?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The site can't guarantee a fix. I can only do so much from this end and can guide you if you have the proper tools to repair it. Otherwise there's no other option than to have a shop fix it, and the average cost for this repair is in the $250-$300 range- which isn't cost effective unless you put the labor into it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The site says 100% satisfaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I do not feel I should be charged.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I have nothing to do with billing. Contact customer service from the home page. I'm an independent tech working of my own time- not a site employee. I'll opt out now.