Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.
11519491

M550NV vizio, replaced main board after power surge zapped

Customer Question

M550NV vizio, replaced main board after power surge zapped it. Tv screen comes up to set up mode. Remote was zapped at same time bought a Visio remote still cannot get tv to respond. Button on side will control power only. What is needed to get remote to respond so I can go through set up mode?
Category: TV
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

The remote can not be zapped as it has no connection to the electrical paths ;-)

The remote isn't working because the board is not accepting the commands from the remote. As for the main board you replaced, where did you get that one from?

Thank You,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought main board from amtone technology, online. Got part number from service tech. Before I replaced board tv would not power up... How does remote communicate? Next steps?

Hi the remote communicates via Infrared light waves that arent normally visible to the human eye, to make sure the remote is working please aim the remote at any cell phone camera or camcorder, then ress any button on the remote. You should see a bright light coming from the remote on the cameras screen;-)

Let me know if you do.

Thanks

This is the first step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remote working. ... Tv screen is on set up first page and remote or side button will not start set up

Thanks for that info, it sounds as if you either got a bad board, or you may have zapped it if you didn't follow ESD ELectro Static Discharge precautions opening the package or making the install ;-(

I can help you if you can return that board for a replacment as that one is defective for one reason or another.

This is a very common issue I see with boards especially for this set coming in already bad.

I wish I had better news for you I really do but this is the case at this point.

I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael