Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I unplugged my patch cords from the machine to move it while

Customer Question

I unplugged my patch cords from the machine to move it while leaving them attached to my big screen TV. After re-attaching them, the , message "SAMSUNG DIGITall everyone's invited" appears. The re-attached patch cords are connected to line out, white left, red right, and yellow to video out. The VCR is set for channel 3 and I use the function button on my TV remote to change from TV to video mode which worked well in the past. By un-attaching and re-attaching the cords and trying different ports, several times while machine was on, could I have tripped a reset function or locked up a DVD-VCR function circuit? Is there a re-set button or away to unlock the machine?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ( like the brand name or model number of the tv ) so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
INSIGNIA MODEL: NS-50L240A13
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then it looks like you had everything (wiring and tv input)set correctly when you first got that message .

Can you get back to that ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What you saw was the samsung welcome screen after it was replugged and usually just playing something in it like a tape or dvd should`ve cleared that message so if you could set your tv`s input to where the dvd /vcr is connected so that you can see that message again then try to play something ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Or better yet , play a dvd then try to set your tv to that input until you see the movie playing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE DVD WORKS FINE. WHEN I STOP IT AND GO TO VCR THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE APPEARS AND EVEN THOUGH THE TAPE COUNTER IS INDICATING THAT THE TAPE IS OPERATING THE MESSAGE REMAINS WITH NO VIDEO.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then if the dvd works fine then everything is set as far as inputs and connections goes so do not touch that but now you mean that only the vcr part is not working ?

Have you tried to eject and play a new tape ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This is rather odd but I`m thinking that perhaps you got clogged video heads and in absence of video the unit goes to that message .

Right now beside a defective unit (vcr part) its the only thing I could see , I mean that normally all you have to do is insert a tape , press play and that's it.

Do you happen to have a video cleaning tape

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

head cleaning tape that is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO. IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL HAVE TO TAKE THE MACHINE INTO A REPAIR FACILITY.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Just below the eject button , did you try to press the TV/VCR button while it was playing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO, I'LL GIVE THAT A TRY.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Normally as soon as you press play that function should go to VCr automatically but who knows

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO LUCK. I'LL START SEARCHING FOR A HEAD CLEANING TAPE.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then and while everything is stopped try to go through the setup menu like language etc. just in case it is asking for the first time setup .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how that goes and here is the manual if that might help ;

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000001493.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EVERYTHING IN SET UP IS AS IT SHOULD BE. THE ONLY OTHER ISSUE IS THE PARENTAL FUNCTION. I NEVER SET A PASSWORD ***** WITHOUT THE PW THE MCHINE WON'T LET ME CHANGE THE PASSWORD *****
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Would have nothing to do with that but right now I was looking at the back of thi unit and you are connected where it says DVD/VCR ,is that correct ?

And that switch set for that side ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOOK AT THAT NOW OR AFTER WE ARE THROUGH?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you want to stay on this page just right click on that link and select "open in a new tab (or window) "

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In any case it should open itself in anew tab but if you want to make sure then do it manually like I described above

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m thinking specifically about that video out selector switch , try it both ways while a tape is playing and the unit is connected in the "line out"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE THE SELECTOR SWITCH IN THE RIGHT POSITION, WHICH IT WAS IN BEFORE I DISCINNECTED THE MACHINE.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then just wanted to make sure it happens that things get moved or switched , in that case its back to trying a vde head cleaner , otherwise I could not see what else beside an internal problem and in such a case then it may be cheaper to just buy a new dvd/vcr unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOU EFFORT ON MY BEHALF. I WILL BE BILLED FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE ONLY WITH NO REOCCURING CHARGES?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you did not sign up for any subscription or anything of the sort then I could not see that but if you want to double check then use the link below after we are done ;

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
1.***-***-****

Sorry but I`m not privy to those matters , just a repairman here.

If that answers your questions for now please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU. GOOD BYE.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.