Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I push the power button on my 42 inch zenith plasma tv and

Customer Question

it just makes a clicking noise and doesn't turn on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur- did the set ever shut down on it's own, were there storms, power outage, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. We bought this set in 2011. The priblem occured about 2 months ago. Is has never shut down on it's own to my knowledge.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and offhand- are you saying the TV's never worked since it failed 2 months ago? Also are you looking to try to repair this yourself? If so, it's either the power supply board or one of the sustain boards that's shorted and causing the problem- but some voltage testing inside the set is needed to determine that.

Or are you looking to see what would cause this and what the cost or repairs would be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly, it hasnt worked since it failed 2 mos ago. Yes we would like to try to self-repair (with your assistance of course) if it is possible.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I need to sign off for the night- as it's late here. But when we continue, do you have a multi-meter and experience measuring live voltages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No & no
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I had stated above this:

" it's either the power supply board or one of the sustain boards that's shorted and causing the problem- but some voltage testing inside the set is needed to determine that."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

So, without a meter we can only go with the best guess which is your power supply board and it can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay62170901-power-supply-unit.htm

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can purchase the meter cant i?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if i change that but it ends up being the x or y board instead?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you have no experience using a meter to measure live voltages then repairing a TV isn't the best place to start, and learning how to goes beyond the original scope of the question. I will opt out at this point and perhaps another expert will step in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow... Okay then Sir.