Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a VSX-819H and I am using Chromecast to watch shows

Customer Question

I have a VSX-819H and I am using Chromecast to watch shows on my TV. I don't want the TV audio so I have an audio optical connection out of the TV into the back of the receiver but I can't get any sound. What setting do I put the receiver on to get audio out to my speakers?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, First- do you have the TV speakers shut off in the Samsung?

Secondly, exactly where is the Chromecast plugged into- the TV, or the receiver?

Additionally, which Optical port are you plugged into on the Pioneer (what's it labeled)?

The details are paramount in solving the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speakers on the tv are on (not muted). The Chromecast is plugged into the tv because I have HDMI inputs into the receiver for the cable tv, and a blue ray player, there are no more Hdmi inputs left so I had to put it into the tv. It's plugged into the optical in aux.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay you cant' have sound from the optical if the TV speakers are still ON. Grab the Samsung remote and press MENU---->Sound----> and select ANY option that does not include TV speakers.

Then select AUX on the Pioneer receiver.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no sound options that do not include the tv speakers (that I can find)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please check and postback with the correct model number off of the back of the set. Is it perhaps "6000" at the end, instead of "0006"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crap. sorry... it's 6000F
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No worries. Let me pull up this model and I'll get right back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather plug the Chromecast into the receiver. Is there any way to do that, along with the cable and blue ray player?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's under Audio, then "Speaker Settings", shut off the speakers there (select "External Speakers").

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know- do you have an extra HDMI port on the Pioneer??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are only BD/DVD, SAT/TV, and DVD inputs. Itried the DVD input but it didn't recognize the HDMI signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops it's a DVR/VCR input
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay then you should probably stick with having it plugged into the TV.

Also, not sure why you're not seeing it in the audio settings, but in your manual, it shows that you should have an option for "Speaker Settings"- can you find that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a seeting for the speakers but the only options I can select are Standard, Music, Movie Clear Voice, and Amplify.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
setting
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

View the manual below. Look where it says "Sound MENU". One of the choices is labeled "Speaker Settings", you press ENTER, and then can select "External Speaker":

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201404/20140404150900585/[UEH6000_65inch_ZA]BN68-04572A-02ENG-1016.pdf

Make sure you're using the original Samsung remote.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** Is it possible to continue in about an hour & a half? I have something that I have to do right now.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sure you can reply back anytime. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric, I'm back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. I'm trying something different. Since this answer wasn't resolved, I'll ask for a refund.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, wasn't online. Your solution is still posted above on the page:

Then select AUX on the Pioneer.

That should do it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.