Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR 1312, doesn't go into

Customer Question

My Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR 1312, doesn't go into surround sound, only comes out of 1 speaker?
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you see the box of what I have tried so far?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What is connected to the Denon for sources (cable/sat box, etc.)?

Do all sources only produce sound from one speaker?

When did the problem occur- was it after the unit ws moved, or there were storms/power outage, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connected to cable box. It happened before when I changed to the Apple TV. This one time I couldn't find the right button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All sources come out of the 1 speaker
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay you said all sources- but you said also that you only have a cable box connected- that's one source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DVD player
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, there's no button that makes the sound go from only one speaker to all speakers- it simply isn't within the normal operation of the receiver.

Any how, to sort this, I need to know the following:

Have you unplugged the Denon from power for 10 seconds and plugged it back in?

Have you RESET THE PROCESSOR of the receiver yet? If not, do you know how to do this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please reply back here, I don't use the phone call feature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll unplug the receiver now and I don't have a manual so don't know about a processor
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. Unplug it and plug it back in. Check the sound.

If that does not work, then shut it off (put into standby) then press and hold the << and the >> buttons on the lower right hand side of the receiver itself- not the remote.

Hold those buttons down while pressing power once.

The display should then start blinking. Release those buttons and the processor will be reset. Check the sound then and see if it's only coming out of one speaker.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call feature, simply reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LED came up PL II C SAT IS UP ON IT NOW.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, and?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's showing the Cable/SAT source is up, and that it's in Pro Logic II mode. So what is the sound doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still single
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you've ruled out ALL settings on the receiver by performing that reset- so it's not a pushbutton fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Did you check DVD as well since the reset, or only the cable box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
onlY cable but will try the DVD
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, try that and let me know if the results are the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still single but the LED says PLC C BD
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That simply means the receiver is on the BD (Blu Ray) source selection. If the sound is only from one speaker, then your receiver has a hardware fault in the processor. We just reset the processor which supersedes ALL settings and adjustments on the receiver. So that rules out any buttons you could press to fix this. The unit would require repairs which is on average a $250 repair from Denon. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix. In many cases it's money better spent to replace versus repairs, since a brand new entry level Denon can be purchased for around $280:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS510B/Denon-AVR-S510BT.html?tp=179

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great news the surround sound is working on the movie
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh? The movie- please elaborate on that. The movie on the cable station, or the movie on the DVD player?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DVD player and the LED says Dolby D BD
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, now switch over to the cable box setting, and then check. If the sound's not right, then reboot the box by disconnecting it from power and plugging it back in. Once it reboots check the sound and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to the 1 speaker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was you talking about the Receiver to unplug?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No the Cable Box. And you said you only had one speaker on the Cable Box before so....not sure what you did or what changed here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll unplug the cable box, the other time was the receiver
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh, okay sorry I thought I typed the cable box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to one speaker for both TV and DVD, BOX says Dolby D BD
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, unfortunately this is a fault in the processor of the Denon as it seemed initially. This is a digital component which processes all of the surround decoding and other functions in the receiver. It's not uncommon for this issue to occur when the receiver is around 5 years +, and it's unfortunately an expensive repair.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

You can try resetting the processor again, or leaving it unplugged for several hours or more, but in most cases this is something that requires repairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This receiver was replaced 1 1/2 years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you recommend any receiver?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I understand. What it's doing now is not within normal operation of the receiver. If it was, then it would be something the processor reset would have fixed. Units I would recommend which have much less of this type of failure are Onkyo or Yamaha as a second choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last one was a Yamaha and it only lasted 2 years.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what to tell you. All brands have lemons. The ones "we see the least failure with" are Onkyo and Yamaha- in that order. Denon is one of the most common failing units that we see daily, right next to Bose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?