Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I Dish says I need to contact youhave no picture on tv 50

Customer Question

I
Dish says I need to contact youhave no picture on tv 50 inch PlasmaHDTV Model TH-50PZ85U
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I need to know how long you've owned the set for please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, is there still sound on the TV?

If you grab the ORIGINAL Panasonic remote and press MENU- does the MENU show up- yes or no?

Is the power light on the TV lit, out or blinking?

We need these specifics in order to diagnose what is going on.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call feature, and it doesn't help us with these types of problems. Simply REPLY BACK HERE with the Info I requested above to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased in 2008
The power light is on on TV
Yes menu will come up
Yes I have sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if the MENU shows up on the TV and you have sound, then I'm not sure how DISH concluded this is a problem with the TV. The MENU supersedes all settings and connections on the set- so we know you can get picture. The sound being on means the TV is getting SOME sort of signal from the DISH box- but no video. What did DISH have you do so far? Did they at least have you reboot the boox and also check the Input cables form the box to the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all that
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Did DISH ask you to check the TV's MENU?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

When it shows up on the screen, that pretty much concludes that the issue is NOT with the TV, but with the signal between the box and the TV (and DISH can't test that in any way from their end without coming out to your house).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, what specific type of cabling is between the box and the TV- is it an HDMI cable, or 5 colored RCA type cables? We need this info to sort this.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a red yellowanwhite cable thyarehoked up t thedish receier and t te tv they said i needed sm sort of code t get the picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's no code to get the picture- that's a far reach on their part. Let me ask you this- was the DISH box working before on this TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, did you move those cables at all?

What exactly shows on the screen when you select the correct VIDEO INPUT using the Panasonic remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeswe wtched the debate Wednesday eve turned off and went to bed. didnt trn on tll thusdayeve then hadno picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Does the screen ask you for a code?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned that DISH said something about a code- is there anything about a code on the TV screen- yes or no please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm not seeing any replies back from you, and I have to run and go to another project. I will opt out and open the question up. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I bring up the menu is does not ask for a code
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is ***** ***** different tech. here as Aric had to step out and i will take it from here.

Do you have anything else beside the DISH box connected to this tv or that you could connect for a test ?

Like a dvd ,game or even an old vcr for example

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called Dish a different tech had me unplug cables from receiver and tv and plug back in no results so something wrong with receiver or cables will send a tech out Sunday. Thank You
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was going to say something about the cables and not only that you may have defective cables but that right now if you are using those red/white /yellow cables then you have the worst type of connection for your HD tv , if your dish box has a port called HDMI at the back then buy yourself a $10 hdmi cable and use it .

Beside the fact that you will have a 300% improve on the picture , that will clear your problem .

Let me know if you`d rather have some help before Sunday and need help with that .

Also saw that you requested a phone call earlier , I could give you that call as well , here is the offer you must first accept.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dish came out Sunday Morning There was a cable disconnected somewhere. Thank you for you help.
I do not want to continue the tech service after the 7 day free trial. You helped me more than them. All they want to do is sell you more service so they can charge more.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem and let me know if you have questions later on.