Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a tachi Altravision Plasma 42" HDS69. Bought it in

Customer Question

I have a Hitachi Altravision Plasma 42" HDS69. Bought it in 2001. I hook it it up for Digital TV. Great picture but I don't get sound on all the channels that I get a picture on. The TV down stairs with the same type of inside antenna works on all channels with picture and sound. Can you help me with this problem? The TV works great with the VCR and other devices. The Digital TV is the mode that experiences trouble. Please Help?
Thank you.
***@******.***
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So the issue is only with the sound, you are getting picture on all the expected channels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't have an answer from you! Where do I go to find the answer to my problem?
William
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I did not, and cannot, provide an answer yet. This is an ongoing conversation, and I had asked you for some additional information:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I know is that your open stated email say or implies that "your TV answer is ready!" so, what was I to think. That said, what additional information do you need? I have went through the set up menu; checked all the connections; tried several in door VHF-UHF Antennas. Again, let me emphasize, the TV down stairs with the same type of inside antenna works on all channels with picture and sound. The TV is a Hitachi Ultravision Plama 42" HDS69. Please, what additional information do you need? Ask I will do my best to provide the information you need.William Horvath
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for any miscommunication. The site treats any response (even though this was really only an information request) as an answer, and alerts you as such.

Thank you for the information William.

I was simply trying to confirm that you were consistently getting picture but having trouble with sound.

This tends to indicate an internal tuner defect, meaning the tv is having trouble processing/decoding some of the audio signals. That isn't surprising to see either as a hardware limitation or failure/degradation, for a tv this age. At 10+ years old, this set is already far beyond its expected service life.

There are a few things we can try here.

First, unplug power to the tv for at least an hour, to reset it.

Then, go into the setup menu and run the channel scan function again (auto tune).

If still no change, on the specific channels that were having problems, look for the SAP or MTS button on the tv remote, and press that repeatedly to get to SAP mode turned off.

If still no change, we'd be looking at a hardware problem which would ultimately require repairs to correct. While it can be fixed, it would simply not be practical. Repairs would cost as much as a new tv ($300 range) and parts are not readily available anyway.

A better option in that case, other than replacing the tv completely, would be to connect an external tuner to replace the faulty internal tuner functions: http://amzn.to/1NDKnJp

This is about $30, and would give you access to all the same channels (with full picture/sound) as your other tvs, and even give you some added features like the ability to record (to usb memory/drive) as a dvr.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,