Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My LG TV 42LT770H-UA has a vertical line down the left hand

Customer Question

My LG TV 42LT770H-UA has a vertical line down the left hand side of the screen?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?

Also, what sources are connected to the set (DVD player, cable box, etc.), and is the white line there regardless of source you select?

How thick is the line on the screen as well please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric, Me Tim again. Just had you recommend changing out the Main Board for my Panasonic 50¨
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim- thanks for the question. Can you reply back to the info request above please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have owned the LG for 8 months but it is 3 years old. The problem just started when I turned it on 5 minutes ago. The line is about 1\2 an inch thick. ROKU and Cable is connected and connected or not there is a line?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you. Please unplug the TV from power, and also remove the HDMI cables from the back. Wait 10 seconds and plug them back in and plug the TV back in. Check both the Roku source, and also the Cable source, and let me know if BOTH exhibit the line please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Is the line still there on both sources please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both exhibit the line!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This means the line is generated within the TV. There's no adjustments to remove the line. It's either caused by the T-Con (LCD controller) or the LCD panel itself (which is not repairable). Given it's a 1/2" thick- there's a good chance it's only the T-Con that needs to be replaced. Does the line move or flicker at all- or is it completely stationary?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line is stationary but there is a green, pink and black line within that half inch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was doing some other investigations and found other amateurs are saying that the soldering or connections in the main board may be affecting the vertical line? What do you think?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the only attempt at a fix is to replace the LCD controller board (T-Con) in the set- as there's no way to determine if the -Con or LCD panel itself have failed. The Mainboard is not anything I've ever seen cause this line. Vertical lines are generated by the T-Con or the panel itself. You can try to touch up the solder joints on the mainboard, but I honestly would not pursue that route myself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to replace the LCD controller board (T- Con) myself. Can you point me in the right direction again to purchasing the correct part?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to find any parts at all available for that model number. Are you in the U.S. like the site shows? Or is there another model number off the back of the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look for another model number.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TWFM-BOO3D
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
42LT77OH?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

TWFM-BOO3Dn is a Wi Fi chip, and I can find a manual for a 42LT770H- but not a single part for this model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YIKES what do I do?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The only thing you can try is remove the back of the TV and take a picture of the back. See if there's a metal shield in the upper middle of the screen. If so, the T-Con is underneath that shield, and there will be a part number on it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm signing off for the night- as it's late here, but you can postback at any time, and I will continue tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Have a good night!Tim
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Did you ever end up getting the back of the TV off?