Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

You did some very fine work at my house about 4 months ago.

Customer Question

You did some very fine work at my house about 4 months ago. I have
A question about 4k tvs that I don't know if you can answer.
The 4K TVs certainly look great at the stores where they can display actual 4k
Content, which basically is unavailable for the home market.
I know they taut their up conversion , which with my experience makes regular content not sharp.
I purchased an inexpensive 4K tv for my vacation home and although the colors are better the sharpness does not come close to any of my old televisions.
Will that be true of the more expensive 4K sets($7-$10,000).
I would hate to purchase one of these newer sets and then find out the sharpness that I have now with my plasma TVs is not on my new television.
What do you think about this sharpness/resolution question on these newer TVs.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you asking about any particular brand or model of 4K TV?

This info will help me to assist you.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A high end model 4k tv, not picked out yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your site said you had the answer to my question but you don't , you just asked me another question.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m Jack , a different tech . and I will give you that answer .
If you pay the price you will get the best name and buzz in town that is for sure .

Now if you are asking if the more money gets you the best tv then I will say tat this is like buying a golf club , what fits you best ???

There are no one better then the other right now except for specs that practically no one understands and unless you were a living measuring instrument will not see the difference anyway .

So if you have money to spare and want to buy the best then go for the most expensive and even if no one can see the difference then at least you will have the purchase bill to prove you have the most .....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you even read my question about sharpness showing up on a 4k tv when it is not showing any 4k content?Thus the picture to me looks not near as sharp as tvs? Is that a true observation of what to expect after purchasing a 4k television and bringing it home to view?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about my question about sharpness showing up on a 4k tv when it is not showing any 4k content?Thus the picture to me looks not near as sharp as older tvs? Is that a true observation of what to expect after purchasing a 4k television and bringing it home to view?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then this clarifies things a bit .

Now i am surprised the even a cheap 4k tv has a visibly lower sharpness and i`m thinking about the source of the signal (dvd,cable box,antenna etc.) , the type of connection used and the settings of the tv itself that could play a role into this.

Best thing for you would be to use a show or movie that you know well what it looks like and have it on dvd for example so you could have them (the store) play it for you and compare .

It is very difficult to compare without a reference and if that cannot be done then see if they have a standard hdtv in the store that could play the same picture and have them side by side .