TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I'm trying to fix my tcon board - when i asked you guys

Customer Question

I'm trying to fix my tcon board - when i asked you guys before you recommended some parts which i ordered and they came and they are not a board .. . they are chips. i have the back of my tv off and have no idea where the tcon board is . . . HELP!!
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

The Tcon board is always located at the TOP OR BOTTOM CENTER of the LCD panel. Usually it has a metal cover over it . There's 3 different TCONs used during the manufacture of that TV model, and here is what it looks like --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=63&q=+LC42D43U

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not see where my tcon board is. I've attached a picture of the back of my tv. can you see where it might be? perhaps you can call me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there? what's happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tech 1 - where are you? this is very frustrating. I am unable to tell if you are still helping me. i'm going to be frustrated if my $48 for immediate assistance only included one question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to pay $18 for a live conversation. Ridiculous.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I've got to leave now. i hope you're refunding me my $48. This has been no help at all. I know where the T-Con board SHOULD be located; i know what it looks like!! as you can see from the picture i sent, it is not visible and unless it's UNDER the mounting brackets and under another metal covering and located not in the center of the tv, it's not here. And, I've no idea what to do with these itty bitty chips - do they need to be soldered onto the board - i am not tooled to do that. I should get a refund for my initial conversations with you folks.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Those chips need to be soldered in. Here is where the TCON is actually located. Sorry, I don't sit at the computer all the time, so I didn't respond back for 30 minutes. And you don't have to pay $18 for a live conversation, that's just Just Answer offering you that option, not me...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - i'm attaching a couple more pictures of the area indicated by your red arrow. i don't currently see any chips or any kind of electronic device in the area you've indicated. Is it underneath the bracketing? if i take it in to a tv repair (is there even such a thing) would they be able to fix or is this old tv just done. discouraging.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is under the bracketing, and while your picture was a little fuzzy, lacking critical details like screws..you have to remove the center bracket while the TV is laying on a table with a soft blanket protecting it. Then you remove the bracket. Then that metal cover has to be removed, and it looks like it's a one-piece cover that covers the TCON and the main board. Usually the screws are only around the outside edge of the cover, but any connections poking out the back of the main board may have 5mm nuts that need removed. I only find that on computer jacks, and HDMI on the back or sides may have #1 Phillips screws holding those to the metal cover.

Also note that Shop Jimmy page I sent you with the 3 different TCONS ... it didn't state they were out of stock on Saturday. You may want to match your Tcon to the correct board, note the actual part number, and consider buying it.

Now the nice thing about Shop Jimmy is that the page I sent has ALL the information you need for that. Read the whole page, you'll note that they tell you how to get the correct part. AND if you double click their picture of the part (twice), it enlarges to see the sticker and the number on that sticker highlighted in pink. They don't want to ship the wrong part to you, so they're meticulous about that.

I'll look at your pictures, see if they help us, ok?

Good Lord, this may be a lot of shield removal. I replaced a Tcon on a Sharp years ago that was like yours...the OLDER units (pre-2007) were just plain overshielded. Feed back some details about that to verify, but you need to look at the picture to get us both up to speed. And I will be in and out all day long today, got to get groceries, new work shoes, clean the house etc. But I will check back all day long, ok?

Hmm, my paperclip button is grayed out...Oh for the love of Pete..I may have to post another response to get the picture on here.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Here's your picture - read the post above

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Additional info to the above response -- Yes there are several layers of shielding /brackets to get to that TCON. The center brackets need removed, the metal cover has to be removed, some boards have to be unscrewed, and then there's an upper metal bracket (it was highlighted in blue in that last picture) that covers the TCON. Sharp has a disassembly diagram showing how to get to it, if you want it.