Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Haier flat screen TV. Often I would connect my

Customer Question

I have a Haier flat screen TV. Often I would connect my computer with a cable to the TV and watch you tube on the TV. This worked well but lately when I hit the HDMI button to get back to the TV it wouldn't switch back to TV function. So I would swith the TV off and after a few minutes it would go back to TV. Tonight it won't go back to TV so I am stuck unable to watch TV. I have unplugged the TV waited 20 minutes but still when I hit the HDMI button it won't go back to TV. The TV is only two years old. I just tried plugging my computer into the tV screen and it works but still can't get back to TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component- specifically the Mainboard- which is what selects and processes the AV/TV Inputs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Power the set up and see if you can switch Inputs on the set.

If not, then the Mainboard which processes all of the audio and video signals has a bad EEPROM (processor) and needs to be replaced. If you have this done at a shop, it's typically in the $200-$250 range depending on model, and is usually more cost effective to replace the TV.

Alternatively if you're looking to repair this yourself then I would need the model number off the back of the TV and I will dig for a source for the board.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.