Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our Sharp Aquos Model LC-46LE540U was powered off, there was

Customer Question

Our Sharp Aquos Model LC-46LE540U was powered off, there was a lightening storm, the lightening hit the ground somewhere close to the house now the TV will not come on, can you tell me what is wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When these sets fail in the event of a lightning storm- there are two possible components which could have failed- either the power board or the mainboard in the TV. In order to determine which (or if both have failed), I need to know if there are ANY signs of life at all on the TV (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?

Also, if the power light IS blinking- I need to know the specific code (for example 2 long blinks, 2 short blinks, repeat, etc.).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no nothing is blinking, the TV was not on during the storm.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes, I realize the TV was not on during the storm- but it was connected to power, and also connected to at least a coaxial cable- and this is where the damage occurs from. I was not only asking if the light was blinking- I asked if there are currently ANY signs of life on the TV at all right now? I'm not there to see the TV- so please elaborate.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If there are still no signs of life on the TV beyond the reset above, then it has suffered damage either to the power board or mainboard in the set, and it would ned to be tested by a tech to determine which board has failed- needing to be replaced. The average cost for this repair on your set is around $250 part and labor, and in most cases it's more cost effective to replace the set versus repairs. However if you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.