Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a tachi 42hds69 I picked up. It doesn't power on but

Customer Question

Hello, I have a hitachi 42hds69 I picked up for free. It doesn't power on but it tries to if I force start it. I replaced 3 capacitors on the power supply because one was buldging. The tv is a plasma from 2006. I am handy with a multi meter and diagnostic s, just not familiar with tv's. The light is not flashing and it comes out of standby. It clicks once when I put the power cord in, and twice rapidly when I force start it, there is NO screen. Both sustain boards look good.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also noticed upon power up, both fans do not turn on, I tested voltage at the fan connectors, no 12v to either fan. I believe the fans pull power from the digital board? I may be wrong, not sure what that means.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Normally a repair tech will try swapping in replacement boards, and the power supply board is suspect on this set, given your symptoms.

Replacement boards are available from www.shopjimmy.com, www.ebay.com and other sites.

To troubleshoot at component level, you would need to obtain schematics for the set and be familiar with reading them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete, I can read the schematics however I highly doubt I will be able to obtain one for this model as it is fairly old, I will check and see what I can find. Any other tests I can run of the tv to narrow it down to one or two boards? I still find it odd the fans get no power when I force start the tv (hold power button down for 8 sec.) The tv almost looks to act as it normally would, just no screen what so ever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of my boards look good, at least the power board, and both sustain boards, nothing looks burnt up or out of the ordinary, also when I unplug the xsus, boot the tv up, no change in what it's doing, same with the ysus.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Initially, test if the fans are getting any voltage and let me know;

- either they are not getting voltage or they need replacing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested one fan last night and it is not getting voltage, they both do not turn on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both fans have no power pete