Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My tv turned off and won't turn back on!

Customer Question

my tv turned off and won't turn back on!
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please give me the FULL model number of the tv. This is printed on a sticker on the back.

Are you seeing a solid or flashing power light on front?
Any audio or clicking sounds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model no: UN46EH5000F
solid power light is on, no sound at all
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to call, but the request failed on your end. You may have to increase your deposit to cover the call.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age though, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new tv of this size, with updated features and a fresh warranty, in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nathan. Sorry for the delay in responding I've been very busy with sick grandkids. I was afraid that this was the problem. I can't find on set controls. Do they hide them? I'm checking to see if it's still under warranty, again, thanks for your help. Lynn
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Look on the lower right corner for just a single button.