Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

We recently moved our LCD in my car,screen down and well

Customer Question

We recently moved our LCD in my car,screen down and well padded. We placed several items on it none being very heavy. The tv was not banged or drooped. When plugged in , it is a series of dots and lines, no picture. Any suggestions? I was planning on taking the back cover off to see if any thing was loose or disconnected. Thanks for your help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ready for your reply
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , a few questions coming up ;

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you see anything through those lines and dots ?

Can you see the tv`s own menu for example ?

Is there any sound ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely nothing comes thru.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Not good , and definitely points to something more than settings or connections to the tv

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Normally the first suspect would very be the t-con board but if this happened after moving the tv ...

About those lines , are they vertical or horizontal on the screen

If you knock on the TV's frame left and right or upper and lower , does that seem to affect them ?

If not then try to knock on the back near or on the input terminal and see if that does something ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will be back to you later today. Not at home now .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem , just send me a reply and I`ll be with you ASAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
screen has several sub surface cracks. afraid it is toast,
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry was out when you replied

Was close to suggesting the panel was the culprit but wanted to wait some until you could get a closer look .

When moving a large (or any lcd /plasma ) tv the best position if possible is standing up and if you have to lay it down then on its face lke you did but on a firm surface even if it is a piece of plywood ,just covered it with a thick blanket or sleeping bag for example and lay it down on its face

A car seat does not do as the screen can flex with road bumps , the important is to keep it from doing that flexing.

Wish i had some easy solution for you but you are correct then " it is toast "

As a rule of thumb the LCD panel cost around 80% of the original cost of the tv and then it has to be stripped down and rebuilt around the new panel and then again that is if you can find a new panel.
When under warranty most companies will replace the tv , not the panel.
If it does turn out that way then this makes the tv practically un-repairable due to the high cost and again that is even if you could find a replacement panel

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .