Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My ZENITH Z50PJ240 plasma TV does not comes on. It attempt

Customer Question

My ZENITH Z50PJ240 plasma TV does not comes on. It attempt to power up but, immediately shuts off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with updated features and a fresh warranty in the $500 range these days.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nathan. I do not think the reset tip works. I will dig a little deeper. I want to read the TV manual trouble-shooting section. If you have access to a electronic file, can you email a copy to***@******.*** please?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The manual would be of no help here. The operating manual troubleshooting would only tell you to call a zenith repair facility.

Your symptoms can only possibly come from an internal hardware defect. The reset can be helpful as a diagnostic step, if it helps for a short period, isolating the cause of the problem.

This is still an internal fault though and will ultimately require repair or replacement.