Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a LG model 42LG30 TV and The TV doesn't work to shut

Customer Question

I have a LG model 42LG30 TV and The TV doesn't work to shut the TV on/off, up/down with the volume or on screen menus selection. The remote works for my cable remote to change channels but to shut off my TV I have to shut it off manually with the button on the front of TV. Sometimes when it shuts off, the on/off button on the front of the TV blinks red on and off. The only way I can get my TV to turn back is to unplug my TV from the electrical outlet. What should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is about 7 yrs old. I have a xfinity cable box connected. The remote for xfinity cable box and my TV does not shut off or turn on, volume does not work or the mute. It will change the channels though. The problem with the on off button flashing has been happening on and for the last 6 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on the phone with 3 different services reps from Comcast and they have not been able to help me. I'm wondering if it is my TV that the volume, on off and mute buttons do not work. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I am on the 3rd remote from Comcast for their new X1 entertainment set box.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about delayed reply, I was away from computer.

Does the TV operate through control buttons on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the control buttons on the tv work.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info, this kind of problem occurs due to failure of 'remote sensor' in TV so TV becomes unable to receive remote signals when you push button on it, sensor would be mounted on small circuit board located on lower front of TV and need to remove back cover of TV to access to remote sensor board to get the part number written on it then use that number to search/google to get replacement board and replace it in TV which will help to resolve the issue.

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.