Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

50" Panasonic Viera TV doesn't have picture...stopped

Customer Question

50" Panasonic Viera TV doesn't have picture...stopped working after a thunderstorm
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Please tell me exactly what the TV IS doing after the storm- does it still have sound? Is it turning ON? Is the power light lit or blinking, or completely out? Please elaborate and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV was not on during the storm, but would not display picture afterwards. When power button on remote is pressed, TV come on (red standby light), there is slight dim backlight but no picture.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you. Is there still sound on the TV please? Also, the red light stays steadily on and does not blink correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sound.... and the red light is steady on - no blinkin
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Most all times I see these symptoms, and it occurred after a storm or outage- it's caused by the Mainboard or Power Board failing.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please reply back AFTER you've tried those steps and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried 4 times.....no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a few clicks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, unfortunately the only thing left you can try on a user level is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that it resets, if it does not then the Mainboard or Power Supply Board has failed and will require replacement in order to fix the issue. If you're a DIY type and looking to repair the set yourself, you will need a Multi-Meter and I can guide you to fixing this. Let me know and I will hunt for a link to those parts. Otherwise, a shop will typically charge $275 parts and labor for this type of repair and can be located at the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad new and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have opened the TV and have a multimeter...please help...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also..TV was kept open for several days now...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Ground your black meter probe to the metal frame of the TV. Set the meter to DC volts. Probe the pins on P6 and P12 connectors (labeled on the power board) using the red probe with the TV plugged IN and turned ON. Let me know if the 15 volt line is present on P6 and if ANY voltages are present on P12.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont see P6
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's there. Click on the link and click on the picture. Blow up the image and look at the upper left hand corner of the board:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-n0ae6jl00001-power-supply.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like my meter isnt working...can we continue this later??
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'll be off until tomorrow, but we can do it then. I'm hosting a cookout in an hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we do it over the phone tomorrow?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call option, and the site charges more for that as well. You can post the phone call offer though, and someone else may pick it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you propose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage reading on P6 and around 12.5 on P12
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Like I said, I'm hosting a cookout right now- so not on my computer. I said we could continue tomorrow, however it looks like you don't want to wait. I will opt out and open the question to other experts. I am no longer involved in the dialog and someone else will be along to help if they are able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....np tomorrow is good...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am back. Did you take those voltages readings when the set was plugged in and turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did...p6 had no voltage and P12 was 12.5 in one of the pins...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay doe the screen attempt to light up even for a second after power is pressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a faint glow
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay so you have backlights, but are missing some of the voltages on the power board. You would need to replace the power board for this problem as you are not getting any power to the LCD controller in order to produce an image. The part for your set is at the link I had posted above.