Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I can't change setup on my sharp aquos remote control

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm an Independent Tech. Please send a reply back so that I know you're with me and can see my replies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes I'm here. I need to ask for some more info to help.

First, what's the model number off of the back of the TV?

Second, what Setup options are you trying to change, and also how long have you owned the TV for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't get to back but manual says LC46D82U and LC52D82UI was trying to change video. I was at a friends house and the picture on their set looked different and I wanted to see if I could replicate but found that I couldn't change anything on video or audio and can't change to 1080 which I believe it is. I've had the set for over 5 years. Guess I never thought to change anything before now ;)
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you can't change to 1080 on the TV- the TV is automatically setup to display whatever resolution is coming from the "Source" (be it Cable/SAT box, etc.). So more important- would be what Source are you viewing on the TV, and how is it connected (HDMI, component, composite, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it's hooked to had I with cable...sorry I'm pretty unsavvy on this stuff...which is why I'm paying to talk to you :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMI not had. Autocorrct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says HD. HDMI. video 720p
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Now, on the front of the Cable Box- it should show a couple things. We need:

1) Brand and Model of the box (for example: Explorer 4300HD).

2) The screen on the box should show a resolution (for example: 480, 720, or 1080). What does it show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an Xfinity X1 box from Comcast. Doesn't say resolution but I'm quite sure it's 1080
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Here's the thing- if it's 1080- then the TV is getting 1080. You mentioned something about 720 above- which would be why the picture is not as clear as you expect. Please check a few channels and see if you're only getting poor picture quality on standard definition channels, or if the HD channels are poor as well. You see, with HDMI you cannot access many of the setup features- as they're processed within the cable box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sooooo I just pulled something out looking for model number and now getting nothing. Crap
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Probably pulled the HDMI cable loose from the TV or the cable box. Actually this is something we needed to do anyhow. Please follow these steps:

1) Shut the TV off and disconnect it from power.

2) Unplug the cable box from power.

3) Disconnect, then reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends- making sure it's secure.

4) Plug the cable box and TV both back into power, and once the cable box reboots- turn the TV on and let me know if the resolution looks better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think box is rebooting but nothing happening except TV says Hd Hdmi in corner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Box back showing time but no picture or sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please make sure the TV is on the correct HDMI Input using the Sharp remote's INPUT button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the had setting where it used to work. Apple TV works fine. Just no cable connection it seems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HD Setting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cable box seems on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well something's wrong if you're on the same HDMI setting and the cable is plugged in tight on both ends.

Please try the reboot steps again- keeping in mind the TV has SEVERAL HDMI ports, and you need to make sure you're selecting the correct on you're plugged into (HDMI 1 for HDMI 2, HDMI 2 for HDMI 2, etc.).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. I'm calling comcast. Can you hold a bit
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me ask you if you can see the HDMI 1, or 2 icon on the corner of the screen?

Also, do you have another HDMI cable you can try?

These things are going to be what Comcast asks you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says HD AND HDMI 6. Which is the input its in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It used to say video 720 under that. Doesn't now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so the TV's fine, it's just not getting a signal from the box. Do you have another HDMI cable you can try?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's the resolution the box is sending it- this means right now the box is sending it nothing. Could be a faulty box that was causing the issue from the get-go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well the original issue was either caused by the HDMI cable or the Comcast box itself (since 720 on the screen was what the box was sending to it- not 1080 as it should have been). So you would first want to purchase a new HDMI cable and if the issue goes beyond that then have Comcast swap out the box- since it's at fault and they own the equipment.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So it's back. Had it plugged in wrong slot. And I guess the answer to my question originally is that I don't need to use tv remote because it's on the cable remote.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Glad it's back on. So the resolution on the cable box is right on the remote? Usually it's fixed, or rebooting changes it (my Charter box defaults to 480 at least once a week and I reboot to get back to 1080). So, what's the resolution showing right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He showed me how to change it on the cable settings. Now on 1080
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Good to know, so it was the Cable Box all along as I mentioned in my opening post. Glad to hear it's solved.

Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original thing I was trying to do was replicate friends TV. He has it set to "theater". Do you know where I would find this setting
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hang on, pulling up info on the set right now. So you're saying your friend has the exact same TV and also a box connected using HDMI, and is on a setting called "Theater"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not same TV. But has a theater setting for viewing. I vaguely remember seeing this on mine but maybe I'm wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it! It's on the tv remote on AV mode but alas it is fixed and won't let me change
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yours has nothing in the settings that is close to Theater. You have basic picture adjustments (using the ORIGINAL Sharp remote------>MENU----->Picture).

Then you have some advanced settings (MENU----->Picture----->Advanced).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas on how to unlock the remote
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's not locked- AV mode is for AV Inputs (RCA red,white and yellow). Won't work with HDMI. I posted what the picture settings are above.

Or are you saying you get a LOCKED message on the screen if you try to use the remote for ANYTHING?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are what are also "fixed". Which is what I contacted you about. How to get them to not be fixed ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says "no picture adjustments available"
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but nothing on "Fixed" that I can find. I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same with audio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I ask someone else. I really appreciate your time and patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see you have referred me and someone will contact me later