Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 2006 KDL-V40XBR1 Sony flat screen TV Lately it from

Customer Question

Hello - I have a 2006 KDL-V40XBR1 Sony flat screen TV
Lately it from time to time blacks out and then comes back. Sometimes it shows squares on the picture and then fades away. Does this mean an expensive repair?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, In order to tell if it's Comcast or the TV itself, we need to isolate the problem from the box- by either:

1) Trying another device such as a DVD to see if the issue's still there. If it only occurs with the Comcast box- then the issue is the Comcast box.

2) Grab the original Sony remote and press HOME/MENU- and let me know if the Sony MENU appears clearly OVER those square and on the screen when it's black. If the MENU is also affected/covered by the black boxes, or black screen prevents the MENU from displaying- then the TV is the issue.

If you've isolated it down to the TV, then you're looking at either a Mainboard, or LCD controller failure, which requires testing and replacement of the offending board. Average cost for this repair is in the $250 range on this set, which- depending on how old the set is, may not be cost effective. However if you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?