Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Two of favorite channels are not available in the last 2

Customer Question

Two of favorite channels are not available in the last 2 days. I get a message saying the channel strength is low. Please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Have you tried running a channel scan of the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to no avail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't want to call.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so you're actually gone into the Toshiba's settings and run a fresh channel scan with no results. This indicates the Tuner in the TV as being at fault. Please unplug the TV from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug the set back in and try another scan. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If this doesn't work, then please tell me how long you've owned the set for, and please also double check the model number as the one you posted does not show as being valid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn' work.The TV is 5 years. The model number is40E21OU
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay the set is out of warranty and there are no firmware updates for it, so the only feasible option is to purchase an inexpensive DTV converter/tuner box and connect to the TV's AV Inputs essentially bypassing the TV's tuner. One of thee boxes can be purchased at Wal Mart, Best Buy, Radio Shack or at the link below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tv-video-accessories/digital-tv-tuners-converters/abcat0104000.c?id=abcat0104000

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately there's not a pushbutton fix for the set and if the TVs not picking up these channes, then an external box would be the only cost effective solution for this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already used a converter box and it didn't help!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh, well that changes things. The converter bypasses the TV altogether- so this means your antenna isn't strong enough to pickup those stations- no way around that I'm afraid.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's only three things that allow you to pick up stations:

1) The tower itself.

2) The antenna

3) The tuner

Since you already purchased a converter box that DIDN'T help, then this rules out the TV and the converter box. That leaves the antenna, are you using an OUTSIDE/AMPLIFIED antenna, or an indoor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought the new because I thought that was the problem. It' a strong antenna and it was expensive.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Strong and expensive don't mean anything- I asked you specifics about it- please read above, and if you don't know then reply back with the Brand and Model of the antenna.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK! I threw the box away because the TV worked until a couple of days ago that I lost two channels. Since I thought that I had given you specifics I guess there is no solution for my problem.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Goodbye- I've opted out.