Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an tachi 46" hdtv, model number L46S603 (I think)

Customer Question

Hello. I have an Hitachi 46" hdtv, model number L46S603 (I think) which I won in a raffle back in 2010.
For about 3 weeks now the color has been just terrible. Kind of like the contrast and brightness were calibrated very poorly. After a few minutes, almost like the tv finally warmed up, everything would snap back into place to the great picture I was used to would return.
Last night, after going through the above routine, the picture suddenly went very dark. No brightness and very little color (mostly yellow/orange). As an example, I was watching a baseball game when this happened. After the change, I could make out the the foul lines on the field, but could not see any of the players, the grass, the stadium, etc...
I tried swapping HDMI cables, and running our BluRay player, but the same image quality was present with all options I tried.
I have not idea what this could be and I'm hoping it maybe a simple fix. Would prefer not to buy a new tv. Do you have any ideas what could have happened, and do you think it can be fixed?
Thank you!
Lenny
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan. Do you need more information from me about this issue?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just a bit more.

Does the same issue also affect the hitachi on screen setup menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You actually cannot see any of the setup prompts, unless there is white background behind that area of the screen
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Also when you say no brightness, does that occur across the entire screen?
If you hold a flashlight up to the dark areas, can you then make out the image?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the entire screen losses brightness.
I have not tried shining a flashlight on the screen to see if the image is still there.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you please give that a try (in a dim/dark room).

This will help to properly diagnose the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can, but not until I get home. I'm at work at the moment. Can I do this tonight and get back to you later this evening or tomorrow?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes no problem at all.

Just make sure you set up your justanswer account (email) so you can sign back in. You can bookmark/favorite this page to reach me later, or tomorrow, when ready.