Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have two Panasonic DVD players: one in my main house with

Customer Question

I have two Panasonic DVD players: one in my main house with a Samsung 4K Smart TV (Model DMP-BD460) and one in my guest house. I am having a problem with the one in the guest house (Model DMP-BD85) when I attempt to connect to Netflix using the DVD player with Netflix software. There is a black rectangular space that occurs in the middle of the TV that partially obscures the Netflix movie que. This did not occur when the DMP-BD85 was in use in the main house with an older Samsung TV which was replaced in December, 2014. I have a picture of the TV with the rectangle in question that I can send to you illustrating the problem. However, to do so I need an email address. Is there something that can be done to remedy this problem?
***** *****stein ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello Don, I am familiar with this player and there are several things we can try to solve this.

First, unplug the power cord from the player in question- removing power from it completely for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait another minute then turn it on and attempt to access Netflix, then let me know what happens.

Also, if that does not wok, then please let me know if you have Set the Player up to the WIFI in the guest house (since it would be too far from the Main house in order to connect to the internet and access APPS such as Netflix).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric:
Removing the power did nothing to remedy the problem.
Regarding the ethernet connection, the DVD player is connected over Ethernet-to-power adapters to a Netgear 6300 Router. The router is connected over a approx. 100' cable to the main Netgear 6300 Router in the main house. The main router is directely connected to a Netgear cable modem. All of my other devices are connected to that main router.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay I understand. The fact that you moved the player over to the 2nd router (the access point) would require you to setup the internet connection again- as it is now using a different router initially to connect- or have you already done that as well?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, does that black box also appear if you simply pull up the HOME/MENU screen on the player? This helps narrow down what is causing or not causing the black box.

Also is there any text in the black box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rectangular box is centered in the middle of the TV screen. It looks like the DVD player is expecting some kind of data entry from the viewer. The box disappears when you start playing a Netflix movie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second router has already been configured as an Access Point.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please go into the HOME/MENU and under Settings/Tool, locate the "Reset to Factory Defaults". If you have a hard time finding that let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you run into problems trying to reset to defaults and also the results if you are able to do so.

I also have another reset we can try beyond this, but the reset is the least invasive at this point.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric:
I do not have a key on the remote labeled "Settings".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No it's not a remote key- it's located in the HOME MENU- as stated above. These instructions are located in the manual below on page 29:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMPBD85-MUL.PDF

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Offhand what I'm finding with this issue is that it;s a Netflix problem- and not a Panasonic problem. From other uses that have experienced it, the issue cleared up on it's own AND affected multiple devices (say a Wii as well as a Blu Ray player at the same time). However please try the reset and let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, you're not using a Logitech Revue by any chance are you?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.