Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Toshiba, 52" TV will not turn on after the power storm

Customer Question

My Toshiba, 52" TV will not turn on after the power storm yesterday! We tried unplugging all cords & replugging in. Can you help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me:
1) Any signs of life at all from the tv?
2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)?
3) Any brightness/glowing from the screen?
4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sign of life at all. cable box works, wii works, No lights at all from the TV.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. What is the model number of the tv, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
46XU640U I think this is it. There is another longer number above that starts with a 9 if you want it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No that is sufficient, thank you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, at minimum a faulty power supply though there is a good chance that the main/control board and/or other parts are damaged as well, which is common with surge damage. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc), which is consistent with the surge you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size (It's actually a 46", not a 52") and age, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new and updated LED (instead of lcd) tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range these days.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** unplugged it over night...
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry again I don't have a more optimistic answer for you. This problem is very common this time of year with surge damage from summer storms.

If looking for a replacement, here is a model (a bit of a size upgrade) that I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1LDWu5C

Overall, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, LG, Vizio, Sony. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper their printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a chromecast, roku, appletv, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,