Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am getting a "power only" error message with a screen on

Customer Question

I am getting a "power only" error message with a white screen on my TV. None of the buttons (even the power) work. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but it came back to that message.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

How long have you owned it for, and when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
37LE5300, 5 yrs old, problem started today
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. So right now nothing at all will display on the TV using the ORIGINAL TV remote- or the buttons on the TV itself (MENU, Input, Volume, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the original TV remote, we never use it. The buttons on the TV do not work though, not even the power
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the reason I asked is the TV's original remote SUPERSEDES all external connections or settings- as do the buttons on the TV. However if you're not even able to get the buttons on the TV to respond- this most commonly indicates a hardware issue with the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I did that but it's still going right into that power only mode; unfortunately I'll be in meetings for the next 3 hrs or so.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, there are no other resets or settings that will fix this and the TV has a fault in the Mainboard- which processes all external commands beyond power.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There is no quick fix for this and the Mainboard needs to be replaced. If you have this repaired at a shop, you're typically looking at $250 parts and labor. Alternatively you can swap the Mainboard out yourself and save over $125 on the labor by purchasing it at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebu60949804-main-board-for-37le5300-uc.htm

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Beyond that, there isn't any setting or adjustment that will correct this- the fact that the buttons on the TV itself won't work indicates a hardware issue. Alternatively if you're not a DIY type you can also use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.