Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to answer your Television questions
62924203

I have a Lenovo 7747 desktop pc that will not turn on. There

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo 7747 desktop pc that will not turn on. There is no response whatsoever when I press the power button, but all other devices that are plugged into the surge protector are working.
Category: TV
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

First things first, unplug the computer from the wall and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then plug the computer back in directly to a power outlet (yes, your surge protector is probably working, but we want to eliminate it anyway)

Try turning the computer on. Listen closely to see if any fans turn on at all. Watch for any lights or any signs of life. Reply and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sign of life whatsoever, no fans, nothing.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

On the back of the PC where the power cable connects, can you verify that there are no switches around that connection? I'm not seeing one on the schematic but want to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no switches.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

This is most definitely a power supply problem. If you're in your warranty window I'd take it up with Lenovo. If you aren't, power supplies aren't all that expensive or hard to replace. I can recommend one and then help walk you through installing when it arrived.

Let me know what you choose, I can get Lenovo's contact info if its less than a year old.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's three years old unfortunately. Would you recommend that I take the tower into a place like Best Buy for repair?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

That's up to you, the replacement I found HERE is 39.99 and if you can use a screwdriver and unplug/replug cables you can fix it yourself, especially with my guidance. However if you in no way feel comfortable with that, by all means call Best Buy and see what kind of quote they will give you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not that I'm uncomfortable trying it myself, but what if I replace the power source and the computer still doesn't work? Then I am back to square one.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

True. If you order from Amazon they have a great return policy, you can just pop the case off and plug in the cables just to see if it works without taking the old one out, if it doesn't send it back. That does require a lot of waiting. If you need it working soon Best Buy at least would have a power supply laying around to test it with so that you know for certain that's what it is. Don't let them gouge you too badly though, as you know what price you could get one for. ;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I'll think about both of those options and call again if I need to. Thanks again for your time.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, reply any time.