Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Aric, I have a Panasonic TC-P50GT30 that as of this morning

Customer Question

Hi Aric,
I have a Panasonic TC-P50GT30 that as of this morning won't turn on (it was used last night). I see that you have helped others with similar issues in the past and thought you might be able to help me? The red light by the power button comes on (stays solid) and there is a "click" when it turns on but nothing on the screen. I have disconnected all input cords and plugged the tv directly into an outlet (to bypass my surge/power filter) with the same results. Any input?
Thanks!
-Shawn
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello Shawn, and sorry you're having problems. Offhand this would seem like the TV's Mainboard has failed- or at least locked up. Can you please tell me how long you've owned the set for, and were there any storms or power outage prior to this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not aware of any power issue as it was working fine last night. I've had the tv for about 3 1/2 yrs I believe. The sticker on the rear is 7/2011, I believe I purchase in 12/2011.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Mainoard being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try when back at home and post results. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so you're not at the set? Give those steps a try as they're the only possible user fix for this. If the light remains ON- but power button is unresponsive, then the Mainboard (which is the processor) for the set has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a plug and play board, and can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/panasonic-tc-p50gt30-main-board-tnph0915/?gclid=CjwKEAjwpPCuBRDris2Y7piU2QsSJAD1Qv7BAvjgB6wAylbadG-RPO_DUVuZJEiRTo55iir068qFvBoCqNrw_wcB

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're not comfortable removing the back of the set and replacing this board, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at the set at the moment (I'm at work), but will be soon and will try the reset process. I will be sure to post back and post the rating as well. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but the green LED visible from the back of the set (opposite side as the main board I assume because there are no inputs) stays on solid as well.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Likely the power board- meaning it's providing standby voltage. Hard to tell without you being there. Please reply back when at the set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red light comes on and I can hear the screen buzz but no picture or menu comes up.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this is all outlined above in my answer. The red light staying on means the mainboard is at fault and would need to be replaced, as well there is a link to the board posted above. Please scroll up to see all replies.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said, "If the power button is unresponsive." The red light stays on when the power is on but turns off when the button is pressed again to turn the set off, so the power button is responsive. Just making sure I'm clear before I purchase a $120 part. Thanks again!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you never clarified if the power button changed the light- just said "Red light comes on....".

Have you got a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're right, sorry. The red light doesn't come on until the power button is pressed. It then stays on steady until you turn the power off via the button. Yes I have a multimeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?