Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Cannot get remote control to work on tv.

Customer Question

cannot get remote control to work on tv.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. If neither the DirecTv or the original remote work consistently, then this is a fault in the TV's IR sensor- which receives all the remote commands and processes them to the set. I know this is not likely the answer you'd hoped for- but it is correct, and is something I am familiar with. In order to fix this for good- you need to replace the small IR sensor board in the TV- which does not require soldering, or special tools, but does require removing the back of the TV to access the board.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The IR board is: Vizio 3637-0022-0189 (0171-1671-0892) IR Sensor, and commonly found for around $25 for the part. However if you're not comfortable with this type of repair, a shop will typically charge $125 parts and labor to swap the IR board in the set and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're a DIY type, you can purchase the board for $20 at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-42-LCD-TV-VW46L-FHDTV20A-IR-Board-3642-0022-0189-0171-1671-0501-/321836827482?hash=item4aeef8435a

Other than those two options, there isn't a quick fix- and the part does need to be replaced.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating? It is my livelihood.