Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I bought a tv from a hotel, and the volume seems to stop at

Customer Question

I bought a tv from a hotel, and the volume seems to stop at 50, which is too low for my hard of hearing husband. I imagine this is some kind of lockout put in place for the hotel. Is there a way to unlock the volume?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry you had to wait because the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am an experienced electronics field technician connected to you via this pay for assistance chat based support service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. What is the model number on the back of the tv?
2. Who is your tv channel provider?
** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **
** Do NOT start a new question **
** IGNORE the Phone Call & Subscription POP UPS **
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is ***** 2008, plasma tv
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Who is your tv channel provider?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comcast, sorry.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Is there a comcast box with comcast remote connected to this tv?
Are you using the LG tv remote or the comcast remote to turn up the volume?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is s comcast box and remote, I've tried both remotes, the lg and the comcast
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
when you are turning up the volume, there is an indicator showing it goes to 50, can you see on the screen that it should go up higher? like to 100 maybe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's an orange bar, and 50 looks to be about halfway from the left to the right, tge rest of the bar is grayed out
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
ah ok. I am currently checking for the SERVICE documents for you model. This could take some time.
PLEASE HOLD YOUR REPLIES.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry but I'm not able to find any info that will help you.
I will give this to other experts who will reply soon.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a different expert. It appears that this set requires a special service remote in order to unlock the TV's volume, but just to make sure that this is the root cause- has the issue been this way since you purchased the set? Have you tried rebooting the cable box itself to see if there is any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been like this since we bought it. Rebooting the cable box did not help
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then a pushbutton fix is not possible. The only other option is to purchase a small set of external speakers and connect them to the audio outs on the cable box (the red and white RCA jacks). This bypasses the TV's built in speakers and allows the volume on the cable box remote to adjust the volume from the external speakers. An inexpensive set will work just fine- and it still more cost effective than having an authorized service center charge you $125 for a house call. A set like the ones at the link below will work just fine:

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-ms16-2-way-active-studio-monitor-speaker-pair--248-6300

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess not. What i hear you saying is that there is a secret type of remote not available to me which could unlock the sound, but it would be cheaper to buy external speakers.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Not a secret remote- an authorized "service remote"- which is only available to LG authorized repair centers whom charge a premium for that type of service.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.