Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

We have a Pioneer Elite 620 rear projection TV. We bought

Customer Question

We have a Pioneer Elite 620 rear projection TV. We bought the set new, The picture is still great and DVD's really look fantastic. I want to upgrade to a Sony 79' 4K, but my wife really loves the Pioneer and would like me to check into repairing it, if that's even possible seeing it's age.
Recently while watching television the set turns it self off and we have to wait awhile before we can turn it on again. If we turn it on to soon it turns it self off immediately.
This is an obvious sign that something is going, any thoughts on this (Other than replacing it:)
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack, I am responding to your request.Thanks, Robert
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , i would have a few questions first ;

Did this problem happen all of sudden or gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?

Does it seem to take approx. the same time before the first shutdown from cold (next day) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First question: It has gotten worse over the last few weeks.Second question:The time between when it shuts down varies as well as the time in which we can turn it on again.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then in any case the fact that you have to wait a while before trying to turn it on again tells me that you would have a component that developed a thermal breakdown .

That is when it reaches a certain temp it cuts off and if not then it is simply intermittent .

Usually in repair shops we start by connecting meters to monitor the most critical voltages and then cooling off the most suspect area of the circuits like power supply , deflection/high voltage and then convergence to see if that will have an effect .

Right now it would be difficult to say exactly which circuit is acting up.

Do you see anything abnormal on the screen before it shuts down or it simply turns off as if you had pressed the power button ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no sign that anything is wrong nothing abnormal, it just shuts it self off.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then as I said this is difficult to diagnose in this context , that is without being there with tools and meters .

For example if you had told me it makes an arcing sound , the colors go fuzzy etc. that would give me something to go on with .

What I can tell you is that this is not something that is caused by settings or equipment wiring but is internal and you will need the help of a local tech. on this.

A service call will cost you somewhere around $125 so if you could possibly take it to a repair shop yourself then you would save that and many shops will give you a low cost or even free estimate if you take it there yourself and the you could take it from there .

Wish I had an easier solution for you today like some sort of reset but this is not the case I`m afraid , I know those pioneers very well and this one needs hands on approach .

By the way , the model number should be PRO-620HD , use that if you want to contact repair shops near you

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you and you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack,
Thanks fore the information, I'll check into the repair sights you listed.Have a great day, Robert
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Also wanted to say that for a problem either with the power or deflection circuit , to have it repaired at home then you may be looking at some $300

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you