Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Magnasonic 13" TV modelMCT5300 was unplugged by mistake

Customer Question

Hi, My Magnasonic 13" TV modelMCT5300 was unplugged by mistake and on repulsing is stuck on "Channel 2-Data" how to snap out of it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here
Ben Preiss
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , i would have a few questions first ;

What is connected to this tv ?
Cable converter box,dvd,games etc. ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Why does it need to be on channel 3 , is it for a DTA/cable converter box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cable converter box. Another tv set is also connected to the same converter box, it is working perfectly
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes it looks like yours just lost its programming when the power went off .

Have you tried to enter the digits 0 and 3 (channel 3) directly with the remote ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried numerous times to enter 03 both on the set itself and from the remote. noting changed, no response.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k and that MCT5300 would be on the remote itself , correct ?

Could the TV's model number be P1324 ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Does the menu come up when you press that button ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

by the way , I was talking about the TV's own remote , not the cable box remote

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You have the digits directly on the tv as well as the remote ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you actually wanted a phone call but I cannot really see the use here , can you confirm that you requested a phone call and I will proceed with it anyway ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by "on the remote itself". the number I do not recognize. menu does not come up. any button I push on the remote does notI have requested a phone call
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Beside the "philco" brand name , does that look like your remote , click the link below;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npb4ihwj9z85w22/2015-08-20_1038.png?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The remote of the tv is old and not all buttons on it work. but some do bring up different massages on the screen. no response to 03 and no change in "data-CH 2"
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now either you would need to get to channel 3 directly or do a channel search in the menu and your tv would lock on that channel as it was before but you do need a somewhat functional remote or the ability to navigate into the TV's menu , sorry but right now there is no working around that .

On the other hand I could give you a link where you can get that remote for $$10 if the remote I`ve shown you is the correct one ???

Here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Once it is back on try the menu again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The remote looks similar to the Philco, but not identical. mine has 2 rows at the lower area, not one
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then we won`t take a chance on that .

Try the reset as I suggested then do you happen to have a cell phone camera,digital camera or any camera that has a display or screen to test the remote and especially those functions ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a cell phone with a camera. not sure what I should do with it.Am going to try what you suggested. have to go downstairs to the tv
the computer is on the 2nd floor...
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then try both while you are downstair , here is how to test your remote ;

Turn on the camera and point the front of the remote at the camera lens ,then while looking at the remote through the screen press buttons on the remote.
If the remote is working, you should see light coming out the front of it while looking at it through the camera screen.
If you see nothing coming out and are not sure if you did the test correctly then try it with a known working remote.
You can look at the link below to see an example;
http://www.theremotedoctor.com/trouble_files/remote_setup2.jpg

Check those functions like MENU and those digits 0 and 3 specifically

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. The test with the camera is positive , that is, there is a flash of light wisibil in the camera. I tried the unplugging procedure- no change from TEXT CH 2 (not data, text is the word)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then did you see that button on the remote that says TV/CAP/TEXT ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Can you try pressing that then either trying the digits 03 or open the TV's menu ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, there is TV/CAP/TEXT button on the remote, but it does no change anything on the TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am going down to try it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then if I go back to what you were saying above , that it was unplugged by mistake , at this point it looks like it acted as a power blackout and the TV's internal processor is simply locked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can be done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far nothing I tried has worked..
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

With these older TV's there is only one thing and you already did it , that is the procedure I gqave you above so I`m out of ideas here and the repair shop would be out of the question considering the age of the tv although right ow if there is something that could be done then it would be internally replacing the eepro chip .

Does that menu button have any effect at all on the tv ?

You said that it did transmit light when pressed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Nothing will have any effect if the TV's processor is locked by a corrupted memory/eeprom chip inside the tv

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sorry but i will have to opt out now and repost your question .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in if anyone has an idea or online fix for this .

Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack or someone else. It looks as if nothing can be done. let us break off this communication. Thank you for your expert advice.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but no there is nothing that can be done beside a hands on repair and this may mean that it would be time to retire this older tv

I will give you a link and phone number where you can close this , we cannot do that ourselves

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.