Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Panasonic vierra tv model # TH-46Pz809 will not turn on.

Customer Question

My Panasonic vierra tv model # ***** will not turn on. It blinks twice pauses and blinks twice again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most commonly a bad "D" board with the 2 blink pattern you're seeing, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). A new logic board is about a $50 part, though they are difficult to find.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age, replacement will often make more sense, as you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty of this size in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Nathan. We will try your suggestions. Hopefully they will work and we will not need a new TV!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you. To be honest though, this type of failure is typical and even expected when a tv gets to be this age. It really is at the end of its service life at this point - modern flatscreen tvs will last about 5 years on average before a component fails, and they often cost more to fix than they are worth. Tvs just aren't built to last 10+ years like the old tube tvs were.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That seems to be the case. I will go try resetting it now.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out, and I'll advise further if needed.