Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a JVC projection TV,i just replaced the lamp and when

Customer Question

I have a JVC projection TV,i just replaced the lamp and when i connected my HD fta receiver i have no picture,i hook up my old bell receiver which i don't use because i have no contract any more but the menu on the bell will work and i do have on screen menu on the TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello i'am here
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , i would have a few questions first ;

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That HD FTA box is somewhat of an internet cable box isn`t it ?

How do you connect it to the tv ?

HDMI or color coded component cables ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to internet box
HDMI connection
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about my ignorance about those "free to air" boxes but there are so many versions .
O.k then HDMI and was it working prior to replacing the lamp ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

How about your old bell dish receiver , did you try it hdmi ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
old bell receiver used HDMI
i used an SD fta before,with component cables,before i changed the lamp.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that same FTA box or another one ??

Right now your tv seems to be working HDMI wise anyway I you can see the menu from the bell box.

Does that fta box you have now also have component type outputs and if so , did you try them or is it the same box that you are now connecting HDMI ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was another box and yes the box i am using now has component.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Give it a try with component cables but the better test would be to try it HDMI on another tv .

Have you seen that box working before or it is new ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I mean that you should be able to at least get some sort of signal on the screen or its menu etc. . like the bell box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it works on HDMI on another tv
i tried it with component and no go,all i get is the tv menu
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

rather odd if you can see your old bell receiver but not this box and even on component cables ??

Does your box have the simplest yellow video terminal or you tried the component Y-PB-PR terminals ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you have something else like a dvd , game etc. that you could try on the JVC ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did try a blue ray dvd player,witch worked before i changed the lamp but not now and yes it has RCA connections
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Why did you replace the lamp , did the other one die ?

Right now I cannot see the connection between the lamp and inputs working only with some equipment and not others , this is rather odd here .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lamp died
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then in any case even if the old lamp was still working , I cannot see the relation between that and the problems you have now unless the tv was stored for an extended period between lamp replacement ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the first time i had to change the lamp from when i bought it ,it has hardly any hours on it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k but you did not store the tv for a few months for example and then decided to bring it out and replace the lamp ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In other words , does this problem coincide exactly with the lamp replacement ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i replaced the lamp about a month later when i found out the proplem
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k then it was the lamp replacement that threw me off here and off course that thing with the bell receiver .

When was the last time you tried the old bell box , today or back then ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried it couple of days ago when the receiver i am using and after i tried the dvd player
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then right now to resume this , the only thing that seem to show up on the tv screen is the bell box menu , is that correct ?

Did you try your bell receiver again today ?

I find this rather odd that it would be the only thing working or showing up on the screen .

This tv has an analog and a digital board , hdmi is digital and the audio/video are analog .

I would double check the analog connection again , something has got to be working or nothing at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JVC menu works
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes but did you say that you could also see the BELL menu or did I misunderstand that one ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can see the bell menu.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then I`m sorry but this is as far as I can get in this context , I would need to be there myself otherwise so I will opt out and repost your question , I`m just out of ideas here .

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.

Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
What is the model number of THIS hd fta receiver?
Can you list all of the types of connections that you have tried/tested from THIS fta receiver to this tv?
Have you tried connecting THIS hd fta receiver to another tv, just to test for menu/picture (without antenna)?