Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I can't see the entire image on my tv

Customer Question

I can't see the entire image on my tv
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an experienced electronics field technician connected to you via this pay for assistance chat based support service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
Is there a comcast box?
** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **
** Do NOT start a new question **
** IGNORE the Phone Call & Subscription POP UPS **
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a copy of the cable box
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
If the box is connected to the tv with hdmi and there is a Comcast remote also then the size and shape of the picture on your screen is set in two places. One is the Tv the other is the comcast box. You need to experiment using a combination of BOTH of these settings until you find a size/shape you like.
You already found the button on the Panasonic remote.
Now find the button on your comcast box remote the button may be called something like- HD Zoom, Aspect, Format...
Pressing those button repeatedly will cycle to the next available size/shape which may vary depending on if you are looking at an HD channel or SD channel. Again use BOTH remote to find a size/shape you like.
If you need more help, reply back here.
Before you go, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating.
Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy. Doing that destroys my standing here as a professional and does not issue you a refund. Instead REPLY back here.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem exists across all channels but is easiest to see when watching sports or news programs with text boxes of which only part can be viewed. The Comcast remote is attached. Which button should I be experimenting with?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
can you get me the model number off the back of the cable box, the picture is too grainy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HD-DTA100u/4305/000
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
thanks. give me a few minutes... pleas hold replies
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Is this box connected to this tv using HDMI or not? It looks like from your picture the connection is COAX???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coax to TV and hdmi to hdmi slot 2 on tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple TV currently into hdmi TV slot 1
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
ok. checking...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I shouldn't have it connected to the TV two different ways at the same time
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Na, doesn't matter, but make sure you have the tv input set to HDMI 2 not channel 3/4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this seems to improve image quality, but not the dimensions of the image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Options appear to be auto, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i, none of which seem to change the image dimensions at all
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
you do not want to ever use channel 3/4 on the tv, that is not HD. Only use HDMI 2...
If you put the tv on HDMI2
Tune the comcast to any HD channel 700-800
Press INFO button on the Panasonic remote
What details come up on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1080i standard h-fill
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Please try the aspect functions on the Panasonic remote now that you are on the HDMI 2 input. Is that working properly now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They leave different amounts of black space around the image, but they do not change the amount displayed
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
What channel are you on?
Can you put it on an HD channel (usually 701-825), check the picture sizes again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
800 tptl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1080i standard full
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Please try the pressing and/or holding the "Xfinity" (menu) button on the comcast remote until a menu of settings comes on the screen. In that menu look for settings then for HDMI. Try some different settings in that menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under hdmi setup there are two settings TV aspect ratio and TV output resolution. Both are currently set to auto. On this controller I can change the TV output resolution to auto, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i...I think the TV aspect ratio is changed directly on the TV with the Panasonic remote and the choices there are full, just, 4:3, zoom, h-fill, side cut just, and side cut zoom...so far no combination I can discover shows the full image
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
In the comcast box menu don't use AUTO. Set the resolution to 1080i. Set the Aspect Ratio to 16:9. Exit the menus test.
Even try unplugging the power cord for the box for 10 seconds after making the changes and test again. The settings in the box are going to be the key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have resolution and aspect ratio set as you suggest. I have the most image yet, but I can still tell words are cut off. I am using Univision now and it should say "otras noticias" at the bottom left but it says "ras noticias" and half the "r" is even missing. Still looking for more helpful suggestions. I have powered down once so far and rebooted. I will do so again for both the cable box and the TV...I don't know why this is so hard.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Is the tv set to FULL?
What channel is Univision? HD? 701-825?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Use the panasonic remote:
MENU
PICTURE
SCREEN SETTINGS
OVERSCAN make sure this is set to OFF
exit the menu, check picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can find overscan and it is set to on, however it is not selectable for some reason...?.?.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
tv picture mode has to be set to FULL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to select it, but it has not solved the issue
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
sorry. I have given you everything possible under the sun. At this point I suggest connecting this comcast box to another tv and checking if the picture still does the same thing. And you may need to request that comcast replace this box with a different model/type.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recently upgraded it to their most recent model. That was supposed to solve the issue with out all of our headaches today...incidentally, the reason I am doing my test on Univision is because they are the channel I can find now that is using the perimeter of the image in a way that makes the problem obvious. This problem is especially annoying during sports, ESPN, football games etc...and is hard to observe when watching typical TV that just keeps the action at the center of the image...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You have tried all the settings in the box and the tv. Your next step is to try this box on another tv and/or replace the box with a different model.
You have not disclosed what channel Univision is, or if it HD, or if you have tested this on another tv... Put the tv on HD channel for CNN or FOX NEWS. Look for the ticker at the bottom. If you can see it, you are as good as it gets. Check again on any HD channel next time a Football game comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get 800, 802, 803, 804, 805, 807, 808, 809, 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, no channels from 816-825, no channels in the 700s...none of the 800 channels I get are using testable edge displays currently which is why I was using Univision which is channel 99 wumn for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have another television in another room with a different box, also current from comcast with identical display issues
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
That proves all the settings in this tv and the box are as good as it gets. I highly suspect this is a univision SD channel issue. I bet next time there is a game on an HD channel, or if you look at CNN/FOX NEWs HD, that it's fine.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
If there's nothing else, please don't leave without clicking the positive rating (5 stars or smileys)
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.