Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Just trying to figure out what I can do about certain

Customer Question

Just trying to figure out what I can do about certain channels being "temporarily off air". Cable co. wants to come out because he said it's "like a virus that takes the signal from one channel & can spread it to other channels" It's not a good time work wise for me, I work at night & sleep during the day, so I can't be awake for hours waiting for the cable guy. I wanted to see if I could find out what could be causing the problem myself.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This problem is quite common and is usually caused by either a bad box or a bad signal.

Check that all connections are secure at the back of the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, they're all good. I also turned off & unplugged the box like I had read online...didn't work. I now see there are a couple of other channels that are also "temporarily off air". If it's the signal, wouldn't all the channels be off air? Would having them reset the box on their end help?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Each broadcaster uses a different signal strength.
The fault is not with the broadcasters themselves, but with getting the signal to your box.
You can try using the HD version of the channels if the normal channels aren't working, or vice-versa.
Resetting the box on their end may help temporarily in some cases.-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this most likely caused by something outside on the pole? If a channel works one day and not the next, and if nothing inside changes, is it an outside issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
No.
There are two possible causes:
A bad box or a bad signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would a bag signal be diagnosed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...bad signal!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Depending on which model of Motorola box you have, you should be able to select "Signal Test" from the menu.