Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

RE Sony KDL-55W008B --- no audio out at RCA connectors on

Customer Question

RE Sony KDL-55W008B --- no audio out at RCA connectors on back. Wife needs assisted hearing device that with prior TVs, plugs into RCA plugs on back of TV. With this new one, we get nothing (no sound) at any RCA plug on the back of the TV. Hope you can help. Is there a system switch for that?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. There is a device called a "Digital to Analog" audio converter which you can use on this TV (which uses an Optical port for it's sound), to then connect to your Wife's Assisted Listening device. I will pull up a source for this component and post back shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The device you will need is at the link below for purchase:

http://www.parts-express.com/dac-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-optical---coaxial---usb--180-998

In addition you will also need an "Optical Cable" to run between the device and the TV (below):

http://www.parts-express.com/opti-glow-toslink-digital-audio-optical-cable-w--signal-indicator--6-ft--180-984

Then you can simply connect the RCA red and white cables from the Assisted Listening Device to the converter. This will allow it to playback the TV sound.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This is what all newer TV's use- Optical. As it's a Digital Audio Out that supports surround sound formats. The RCA jacks on the TV are for "Input" from sources (Cable Box, DVD player, etc.) and will not work. The converter I linked to above is what I've been using in the field for years to overcome this problem.

Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?