Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a tachi 55hdt79 that the picture just went out on,

Customer Question

I have a hitachi 55hdt79 that the picture just went out on, sound is ok and blue light is on, if I unplug it for a few mins, the pic comes on briefly then goes off
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the first time I plugged it back in, I saw the picture for a second. On subsequent tries, I only see a white screen with lines across it for a second. Audio is fine but no picture. All power lights etc look normal.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is the screen still lit/glowing when this happens?

Can you bring up the hitachi on screen setup menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no glow, completely dark. how do I bring up a setup menu if I can't see it
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I wasn't sure if you could see anything, which is why I was asking, to further isolate the issue.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a bad sustain board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as this tv is already past its expected service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). To give you an idea a new ymain board is about a $150 part, when they can be found (usually only used)

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though parts are nearly impossible to find at this point.

Replacement will usually make more sense though for a tv of this age - you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and better picture (1080p) in the $600 range these days.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you recommend a comparable replacement
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sure tying. Really any current model tv would be an upgrade, as your old plasma had only a 720p display panel. The standard today is at least 1080p (twice the lines of resolution of the hitachi) or even the new 4k technology that has come out recently (double again).

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, LG, Vizio, Sony. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

Here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1EpmWL3

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper their printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a chromecast, roku, appletv, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,