Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Sony e55a20 lcd. Just replaced the lamp ( lamp red light was

Customer Question

Sony e55a20 lcd. Just replaced the lamp ( lamp red light was lit ) worked fine for a day. Now the lamp randomly turns off after 3 or 4 mins then back on. Lots of cleaning and resetting and plugging and un plugging and then it works fine. If i leavethe tv on then no problem. If i turn it off then on, then it cycles as described above. . . I did buy a 25$ lamp replacement . Currently have a phillips lamp on order 80$ for that one.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This is almost certainly related to a bad lamp. The cheap generic lamps have very high failure rates and can cause these symptoms. You really need to replace with the proper OEM quality philips/osram lamp for confirmation though.

There are other possibilities like a failing ballast or power supply fault, but if it was working fine on the old lamp, that is much less likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I was thinking that. Hoping the phillips brand lamp will work. Lets say that for some reason it doesnt work then what would I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the guy that i got it from said that it worked just fine but had a really dim pic. Then it just didnt turn on. So i am assuming the problem is just the lamp
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Those things both point to lamp issues,

if even the new lamp doesn't do it, then a bad ballast or power supply is the most likely cause (still lighting but not getting enough power to be at the proper brightness)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool. Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That is something that will require repairs. Hopefully you don't have much invested in it other than the lamp costs, because these tvs get expensive very quickly, and generally wouldn't be considered worth the cost. It would be cheaper to buy a new LED tv in the long run than to repair this one. It just isn't worth the investment for a 10 year old set.

If it comes to that, I can certainly help with parts, repair shops, or replacement recommendations.
Let me know how the lamp works out when you have a chance.

Good luck,