Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an apex LE 3943. When I try to connect to any vcr/dvd

Customer Question

I have an apex LE 3943. When I try to connect to any vcr/dvd player/recorder it cycles: turns on by itself; turns to channel 4; then after a few seconds turns off again.
The remote will sometimes to input, but I cannot change it or turn it off without unplugging it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

If you disconnect everything from the tv, other than power, will it turn on and stay on that way?
Can you then bring up the input menu, settings menu, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It just keeps cycling through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I can get the input menu up, but it will not change (I've tried using both remotes). And there is no up or down button on the set itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry we got disconnected last night. I think I just need to find a repair center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also. The price quoted for my answer was $28. My account was debited $57.99. I am not happy about that. I am willing to pay $28, but not over twice that.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update,

I'm not sure about the billing issue, as I'm an independent tech and unable to see that info, from what I can tell it should be 28 also, unless you posted another question in which case you'd be charged again.

This issue has nothing to do with the vcr, dvd, etc.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These apex tvs are some of the lowest quality sets made today and have extremely high failure rates. Seeing a service life of just 1-2 years out of them is typical.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). To give you an idea, a new main board is about a $75 part.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size and brand however, replacement will typically make more sense - you can get a brand new tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same price range as repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,