Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My picture was fine, I went to sleep with the TV on, my wife

Customer Question

My picture was fine, I went to sleep with the TV on, my wife came in the room later and found the screen picture BLACK;
We have turned the TV off several times to no avail! We have audio, it changes stations but we can not get any picture!
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does TV menu screen come up when push menu button on TV remote or volume bar appears on screen when press volume buttons?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing on the screen! It is connected to a cable box, and all TV's and screens are working in other parts of the house
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your Polaroid TV?
- Does screen glow/show backlight when turn On TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model # *****There is no glow or back light, the screen is BLACK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there Shahid? Do you think we can fix this, or should I be asking you to identify a repair shop in or near the 20754 zip code?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please grab a good flashlight and shine it on screen bit closely with some degree, do you see/observe any faint image inside TV screen while TV is On and having program sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The programed station that I hear & see faintly is MSNBC's Morning Joe
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, now we know that TV has got bakclight failure issue as LCD screen has backlight behind the LCD Screen to present the image on it, there are few different type of power board utilized in this model so it needs to remove back cover of TV to see what type of power board it has, please check following link to view power supply board image and price info..

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-15963-860-ab0-ipos250w-polaroid-tv-module-power-supply.aspx

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-14509-846-240-h3czzsh-polaroid-tv-module-power-supply-s30804-0901-flm-3232-flm-2632-tda-03211c.aspx

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of the five (5) service shop choices you presented, I note only one (Just Audio, LLC) had manufacturer & extended warranty authorizations; while Tylers TV was the only shop that listed the products they service! None of them listed "Polaroid"! Should I allow that to influence my selection?If I take the back cover off the TV, should the board in question simply SNAP OFF and SNAP ON; or is there any soldering involved/required?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No soldering is involve, few connectors will be pulled of old board and plug back in new board so it is snap off & snap On type work, an average handy person can do it easily or call any of listed repair shops to get repair quote.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After disconnecting the power & other cables, I now have the back of the set exposed! Can you please confirm how many screws really need to be removed to expose the board in question? Do I need to remove all of the small screws around the perimeter, or should the one large screw be sufficient?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Need to remove all the screws around back cover of TV, please check following link to get service manual copy of similar model which will help to disassemble TV safely..

http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/FLM3232.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WELL; it's apart! My board appears to resemble the 860-ABO-IPOS250W schematic that you sent! The numbers on the panel are: IPOS 150 REV:1.8 2006.11.25 Is that the power supply I should order in lieu of the two (2) options you originally suggested?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for you to take a good picture of rear of TV and post it here so I can view it myself?

Please use paperclip icon to attach the picture file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached is the photo:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to have sent you 4 photos! I did not realize it would not show until I pressed the SEND button
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the picture, following power board will work on your TV..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that board just snaps up, and the various cables snap onto the new board! I guess I'll hold up on other comments until the new board arrives and I'm ready to pull the old and place the new!In the interim, thanks for the support! We will talk more when the new board arrives!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would not be difficult work, you can post further/follow up question even after rating the answer as it wont close the question page.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was very SKITISHED at the onset, but I do/did appreciate your (i.e.: Shahid's) assistance! I'd have to give him a 10 out of 10 in terms of being helpful, encouraging and informative! I only hope he will be there for me when the part arrives and I attempt to disassemble and re-assemble the power supply component of my TV! Here's hoping there isn't a $0.02 item that was overlooked that complicates the final steps!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please take your time and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the part via Priority Mail Sat evening! I pulled/unsnapped four (4) wired connections, unscrewed four (4) mounting screws, removed the original board, unsnapped two (2) punched connections holding an insulation panel from the back of the board; then placed the black cardboard insulation onto the new board, mounted the board back into the set with the four (4) screws, re-snapped the four wired connections, and then reaffixed the other protective panels onto the set, reconnected the video & audio cable connections along with the power cable. The light in the lower right corner of the TV reappeared as RED, so I pressed the ON button on the side of the TV; the indicator light went from RED to BLUE, the audio came on but there was no video picture. After waiting a few moments, I got a bright flash light and could again see a ghost picture in the back of the screen; thus confirming I'm still experiencing the original problem! Does this now mean I have a faulty replacement board? WHAT'S NEXT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you only knew how OPPTIMISTIC I was when I started disconnecting and reconnecting the replacement board! Could the board I replaced as well as the new board both be okay; and is there yet another issue that remains un-diagnosed?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, I guess TV screen was just black before and you noticed faint image visible in screen with flashlight test, correct?

Now the screen it lit with ghost image that means missing backlight issue has resolved and ghost image would be due to any misaligned connector that were removed for power board replacement so please recheck all the work did for and make sure connectors are seated/plugged securely and tight.

Please reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen is BLACK as it originally was, and bright flashlight technique was performed as you originally suggested. The screen is still black, and be assured I did thoroughly check all connections before I accepted the disappointment that nothing changed/improved! HELP!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd and rarely happened, it seems main board that controls backlight system is suspected too along with the power board that just you just replaced in TV, I mean possible two boards failure at same time in TV.
Please get the part number off of main board of TV to search/google it to get price and stock info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taking a look at the 2nd board, this is beginning to look considerably more involved!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Main system control chip controls the TV function including power and backlight on-off, and the circuit board calls main board having this chip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do these help identify the 2nd part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 Photos
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, image showing metal box is main board image, please get the part number off of that board to search/google it for price and stock info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The follow Numbers are printed on the board:
200-107-GT321XA-AH REV:A
GT3213C-XA2The number on that metal box was: 3139 147 23971B#
FQD1236/F H-5
SV20 0714
Made in Indonesia
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, there are lots of version main board utilized in this model so please check with following supplier to get exact/identical main board having same part number..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/polaroid/tda-03211c

Thanks.