Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Nathan I've got an LG tv that I noticed had a hard time

Customer Question

Hey Nathan I've got an LG tv that I noticed had a hard time powering up when it had been off for a while or if the room was cold. Got worse and worse now it will only turn on if I use a space heater or hair dryer to warm it up first. What's up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. How long have you had the Tv?
2. Have any parts been replaced or work been done? what? when?
** REPLY to continue **
** DO NOT start a new question **
** REFRESH this page if you don't see my reply **
** IGNORE the Phone Call & Subscription POP UPS **
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the tv probably 10 years so I realize it's probably beyond the life expectancy for the tv, but I always like to fix things if possible. No work has ever been performed on it.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe your electronics technical skills like replacing pc boards, using a multimeter to test ohms/voltages, soldering, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not experienced in tv repair. I'm an auto mechanic and generally handy, and I have and understand a multimeter. Alittle e soldering experience. I think if the suspect part is affordable I can get it replaced with the new one in hand. And I can read a schematic if need be
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Great. Before we continue, please understand that tv repair shops do board replacements not component replacement using schematics (unless there is a manufacturer recall/bulletin with specific part numbers and instructions).
First thing I would suspect with your symptoms is very common on tv's of this era. You want to do is visually check the capacitors on the Power board carefully. The tops of the capacitors should be flat and clean (keep in mind that capacitors can be bad and not show signs of bulging). If you see even slight rounding/bulging on the top of the capacitor then it will need to be replaced as well as the similar ones around it. Or if you don't want to solder, just replace that whole board. Search google images for "bulging capacitor" to see many example pictures.
Next you should remove the power board and inspect every solder joint for cracking. Solder cracks are VERY hard to see. Think- use a magnifying glass! Re-solder and suspect solder joints.
If you are sure that there is no bulging caps and solder joints are good, then we need a little more info about the symptom. When the green light comes on- is there sound? are the back lights on? does the tv shut off? And the next step is to take voltage readings while the tv is exhibiting the symptoms then again when the tv is running normally. That means using a meter while the tv is plugged in. There are several multipin connectors on the power board with voltages stamps on the board right next to the connector.
Parts:
Capacitors need to be replaced with exact uF value and equal or higher voltage rating. They can be found online at many places. Looks like the model number you gave 37lc70 is probably 37lc7D. Here are some choices to research/buy boards-
shopjimmy.com
encompass.com
ebay.com
If you need help with any of the above just reply back here. If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of thing, you would need to call a repair shop which will end up costing over $300 (labor is very expensive). Honestly if you can't DIY, you should really consider not having this tv repaired and just putting all that money into a new tv.
I know this might be upsetting and you might be thinking this answer was of no help to you, I assure you the advice I've given you is well worth it considering the time and money you would have spent using a local repair shop because they will collect a non-refundable diagnostic fee up front of $100-$135 and won't ever offer the DIY option that I have.
Before you go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating.
Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy. Doing that destroys my standing here as a professional and does not issue you a refund. Instead REPLY back here.
Thank you,