Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have a quite old(10 years). The that is two units(the

Customer Question

We have a quite old(10 years). The that is two units(the electronics are one unit and the display is another .
Last night we had a complete black-out in our area. When the power came back on later all we had was white screen an NO picture.
Do you have any idea how we can get a working Tv with a picture?
Thank you *****
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Bob.

If you press the MENU button on the sharp remote, can you see anything then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a failed tcon or main/control board in the tv, or in the receiver/control unit, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This type of damage would be consistent with the outage you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2005 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Unfortunately, there are no longer parts available for this system, and you can't buy a new media receiver for it separately.

For a tv of this size/age, replacement will make the most sense - you can get a brand new and upgraded LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range these days.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,