Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Sony KDL-40W5810U- Volume at min with on-screen indicator,

Customer Question

Sony KDL-40W5810U- Volume at min with on-screen indicator, flashing green 'on-light', will occasionally stabilise allowing control by remote or set buttons, video perfect. Set 5yrs old and has worked perfectly for 15hrs/day in that time. Regards, Paul W.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Is the volume increasing/decreasing?or are you saying the power-light is blinking green but you lose control or the remote control wont work?
Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volume is at minimum, when flashing 'ON' indicator, normally continuously flashing, is stable, controls are available and sound restored, but purely temporary, and reverts to minimum with flashing resuming.
I see so the volume reverts to a minimum setting and the set locks up not allowing you to control it.....OK two things can cause this, the first but less common is the remote control itself so please REMOVE THE BATTERIES from the remote to kill the remote and monitor the set again, let me know if it now becomes stable using the manual buttons on the set itself if necessary or if you still see the set mal-functioning
Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an additional observation - the clock at bottom right is not giving a reading only dashes rather than numerals. Removing the remote changes nothing - still flashing with no control. Video still fine when intermittently responding to control but reverting to non-response quickly thereafter.
OK the problem you have is with the "tact switches"on the set itself you see these as the volume and channel change on the SET ITSELF not the remote, below those buttons are the tact switches mounted on the function board these switches oxidize and begin to behave like they are being pressed the result of that is (in your case the volume down)the set locks up and the volume drops, the solution is to disconnect the function board , so with the back of the TV off look behind the buttons in the front of the set (your looking inside the set )and you will see this little board there will be one lead feeding it, simply pull out this lead and you will have normal control back again, if you want you can replace the buttons however most people never use them.
If you do not understand what I mean please let me know or you think you cannot do this
A positive rating is appreciated thank you, ***** ***** be a rating bar of smileys or stars with this post please pick out a positive rating and click submit or finish thanks again, rating me positively is the only way I receive a proportion of the fee from the site, please note the question will remain open.
If for some reason you do not see the rating bar please let me know and let me know in that case if you are satisfied with my diagnosis or answer.
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When in this flashing mode you can get the attention of the control circuitry by repeated requests and are then able to select source/channel/volume level etc but if you achieve that it quickly reverts to min volume in the usual incremental manner.
I have received your answer and will check it out - sounds feasible.
its like as though you have your finger on the button but the set is doing this itself because of the faulty volume down tact switch, its a common issue with modern sets and even some of the sony CRT sets from years ago
Let me know, all as you are doing is disconnecting those buttons complete so its not locking the set up, and yes it can be very intermittent
Let me know how it works out
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Antony, Got the set apart, followed your lead. but found that as the cable to be removed will remove the basic on/off to the supply, will the set automatically go to standby and thus be enabled by the remote or is there more direction needed. While at it I have used anti-oxident on the switch in question just in case?
No do not use anything on the switches you should not spray anything around electronics only approved liquids for approved jobs
Is the IR receiver on the board?it looks like a little bulb?otherwise no supply will be remove just the buttons become inactive
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The board is a stand-alone switch unit with a 3-way cable and without the IR circuitry.
Just pull the 3 way cable out and leave out nothing will be affected only the buttons wont work but the fault will be gone
The only time this is a problem is if the IR receiver for the remote is on the same board
Let me know how it goes
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will do. I didn't want to put all back together and go back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify my standing - I'm a retired electronics eng. but not in this field.
Well leave the back off and check the set to make sure everything is good then put the back on again
Thanks let me know how it works out
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Again, As I predicted, no standby light with application of mains supply. Either my switch repair will work or we will have to be selective as to the switch panel.

That is unusual maybe the IR receiver IS on the board certainly sounds like it can you send a photo so I can have a look?if it cant be disconnected then thats awkward as it means you will need to replace the board, I am referring to the board just behind the buttons for volume channel change on the front of the set

I do not have any success using switch cleaner/ or anything else on tact switches

The way forward now is to replace the board

Paul can you let me know please, I do need to go out just now however I will be back in a few hours

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you kindly establish from the schematic how to dis-engage the volume down switch and leave the on/off switch intact. I believe we established the lack of IR receiver earlier. The problem I have is that the set is wall mounted so each attempt results in a dis-mount and re-mount. The switch board is electronics free, there must be a simple solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This set has the switch board on the RHS, not at the front as you have stated - Do you have the correct set?

Paul keep the set down off the wall until all the checks and work done is complete the set has a problem that needs to be ironed out putting it back on the wall mount before that is not a good idea,

No we don't have every schematic diagram for every set that sony release and the schematics for modern sets are at best very poor, so the same principal applies no matter where the buttons are if they are on the RHS then disconnect that board , I have a feeling you may be disconnecting the IR receiver board as I cant imagine the standby light to be on the function board with the volume channel change on well it cant be as its on the RHS?

Its only the volume/channel change functions I have interest here, and you cant just disconnect it either because of the way its in situ with the micro not without a hell of a mess about anyhow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance in this problem, you kindly pointed me in the right direction. Your solution suggestions were well off the mark and my own observations were either misunderstood or ignored. My initial action using switch cleaner seems to have done the trick as everything is back to normal. Should this only be a temporary solution I have gained enough info to disable all functions bar the on/off by cutting a single track on the PCB. Thank you for your help.

OK that's fine , ideally the buttons need to be replaced there will be a part-number on the buttons

If you need any more help please let me know

If for some reason you do not see the rating bar please let me know and let me know in that case if you are satisfied with my diagnosis or answer thank you

Regards

Anthony

Regards
Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Antony, The whole experience was a little frustrating as you pointed me in the right direction but the rest was purely me. Your solutions were inappropriate to say the least and mine proved successful. I've been slow to rate the experience because I found it difficult to rate it poor or bad because you were attempting to help with a limited knowledge to hand. I intend to reclaim the fee and don't wish to muddy the water by an unjustified high rating. Regards, Paul W.
Paul my opinion of that is that is you are being extremely unfair, my diagnosis which you had no idea of was spot on, my only mistake was thinking the function board was on the front of the set however as I knew the issue it would not have been long before I realised the buttons was on the side, I HAVE SAVED YOU considerable amount of money in what would have been an engineers appearance or you taking the set to a shop, I could go on...Paul you are being very unreasonable and I have spent a lot of my time helping you.....I am naturally not very happy