Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am an owner of a Sanyo 50" clase model no. DP50843 TV as

Customer Question

I am an owner of a Sanyo 50" clase model no. DP50843 TV as the movers were moving it a crack came across the screen I need to know is that covered by my warrantee. I the TV was purchase in Nov. 2013 at a Walmart store, my serial #B3391129168801 My name is ***** ***** 323-(###) ###-####
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Carmela.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not answered my question does my 3 year warrantee cover the crack screen?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a moment to finish typing my reply, I was just letting you know that I was here and working on your problem.

Unfortunately, no, this would not be covered.

At this point, the tv is well past the 1 year factory warranty anyway, but even if it were, they would not cover physical damage such as this. The warranty is meant to cover only internal manufacturing defects, so Sanyo would not take responsibility for the movers damaging it.

This is really the responsibility of the movers, who dropped, twisted, bumped it, etc

Just for your information, this is also not something that can be fixed. The entire lcd panel (screen assembly) would have to be replaced, which is never really practical. The cost of a new panel (which is nearly impossible to find) is about the same price as a new tv, and then requires several hours of labor for a tech to strip the tv down and rebuild it around a new panel. It is less costly to buy a new tv at that point.

Now, if you have some type of extended warranty you purchased through walmart, it is possible that they have a provision for accidental damage like this, but that is typically not the case. If your warranty has this coverage, it would be clearly spelled out in the warranty terms.

Your best option at this point is to file a claim with the moving company.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you can tell me the specific warranty plan (company) you purchased, I can help verify what may or may not be covered.

Typically the walmart warranty is through a company called warrantech, which has notoriously poor coverage.

Square trade is usually the only brand that has any type of accidental coverage, and that is not sold through walmart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
square trade protection plans / 3 years zero hassle protection for sanyo TV's. So you do not work for the protection plan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if not maybe I am not talking with right people..... to be paying you to help me...
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No, I do not. You posted your question here on justanswer.com, to get an expert tv tech reply to your question.

Do you have the paperwork for your warranty, and did you register it when you bought the tv?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Even then though, the normal 3 year square trade warranty covers only internal screen failure, it does not cover external/physical damage, which would exclude your situation, meaning your broken screen is the responsibility of the movers - square trade would not help here

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

One other item of note: Since the tv will need to be replaced at this point, and warranty won't cover it, you can still get some value out of it.

You can ask squaretrade for a cancellation, and they'll give a prorated refund for the time left on your warranty (a little over 1/3 the initial cost, based on the date you mentioned),

and if you're up for it you can open the tv up to "part out", and sell off the power supply, main board, tcon, and inverters. Each of these parts will go for $30-75 on ebay. Or you can sell the entire tv as is on craigslist for example, to a local repairer or recycler who can utilize the parts.

While I understand this doesnt' fix the situation, hopefully it will still give you some value for the tv as it is, to apply toward a replacement.

Best regards,